Damn.....50 years now...

-
Hendrix was great for his time. Eddie VanHalen or Tom Schultz are equally as good or better.

Add Saturday Night Special also.
Jim was great, Skynyrd is my all time favorite.
Have you ever heard Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd? I'll compare that guitar riff to anything Hendrix ever did. He was good, but let's not go overboard. I respect your right to think he was great, but I can't agree that nobody else in the last 50 years has been as good.

Have you ever heard Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd? I'll compare that guitar riff to anything Hendrix ever did. He was good, but let's not go overboard. I respect your right to think he was great, but I can't agree that nobody else in the last 50 years has been as good.
Love Free Bird.............It was especially great under the overhead super wide screen in Vegas on Freemont St. THAT WAS COOL!!

Rick has quite a few vids about the subjects.

My friends (who are mostly musicians) have a lot of conversations about this. Hendrix was a pioneer but like all other pioneers they get surpassed over time. My tops are Steve Howe from Yes, Asia, GTR. He could do it all, rock, classical, jazz, blues, metal, country. His talent had a wide range. Another great is Roy Clark. He was better and faster than most of the Metal God guitarists.

Think about this for a moment. Randy Rhodes of Ozzy Osbourne fame is considered as one of the great guitar gods and he passed at 24. His career was still young. Imagine his legacy if he was still alive today.

View through the Rick Beato videos. He is a master of music and I love his "What makes this song great" series where he dissects rock songs. Check out this one from Boston. My favorite. There is a lot of magic in Boston Music that many don't know about.

Last edited:
Joe Satriani, Michael Schenker and let's not forget Clapton

View through the Rick Beato videos. He is a master of music and I love his "What makes this song great" series where he dissects rock songs. Check out this one from Boston. My favorite. There is a lot of magic in Boston Music that many don't know about.

I have watched a fair number of Rick's videos. While I don't always agree with his opinions, I alway enjoy his content. He mentions a lot of artist who never get recognized for the talent they have because they are studio musicians. Case in point, some the guitarist that played on various Steely Dan albums, but were never known other then a credit on the back of the cover.

Now for those who want to see someone play a guitar like Jimmy, look up Eric Gales. He plays it left handed, on a right hand guitar. Is he better then Jimmy, I don't care, I enjoy watching him, and that is all the matters. Music should be about how YOU enjoy it, not who is better. As one of friends that played professionally told me, " at a certain level no one plays better then anyone else, they just play different."

Jimi was the first to rip into that style. Clapton comes along and smooths it out and is the best in his prime. Page, Beck, Klopfler, Slash( don't like his music but) ...Allman, Prince, Sartiani, Albert's King & Cummings. IMHO :popcorn:

I play guitar and I know what I enjoy, but who is the best ?????? .. .......Clapton will always be my go to guy, but this guy is amazing (to me).

And I thought I was probably the only person on here that's a member of Rick's channel, thanks Mike!

-
Back