damn exhaust LEAKS!

-

mopardude318

Reaction score
i cant get these old rusted crappy POS Headman headers to stop leaking on my 318, iron heads...i tried new gaskets, new header bolts, plain copper gaskets...before i took them off, they didn't leak, and the gaskets looked like royal crap, i dunno how they sealed...now i buttoned everything up with new copper gaskets and they leak! WTF? should i try those mr gasket ultra seals instead? or maybe double the both of them up? what do i do?

check to make sure the flanges are still nice and straight is my standard answer to that but maybe thats not the right one at this point since they sealed up before, i would go for the MrGasket ultra seals, i have used them many times and even reuse them more than i ever thought they could last and never have any leaks!
if you still cant get them to seal you could also check so that its not your exhaust pulling the headers in some direction that makes them bind and not seal up
i never understood those coopergaskets seams way to hard to realy compress in i a good way,but i have never tried them and im not even going to start on what i feel about standard white papergaskets..

I personaly watched mine go in the back of the garbage truck, twist and bend till they were gone , pieces of crap , put manifolds back on piece and quiet.

I had "cheapo" Hookers that wouldn't seal either. I cut the flange between 1-3, 5-7, 2-4, and 6-8 and a good gasket, problem solved.

Percy's deadsoft alumininum gaskets. I have em and love em.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Percys/760/66037/10002/-1?parentProductId=744841

Those look promising... I'll give those a try if these Mr gasket ultra seals don't do the job. second time buying gaskets!!!!!

I had "cheapo" Hookers that wouldn't seal either. I cut the flange between 1-3, 5-7, 2-4, and 6-8 and a good gasket, problem solved.

seems like a good idea, my dad suggested i do that too...

i use the copper gaskets, but you need to run some ultra copper sealant on the parts that squish down...i have not had any issues after that, and they are reuseable.

well, i said SCREW it and ordered a set of those Percy's aluminum gaskets from summit...let you all know how they work out for me...

...To Be Continued...

You won't be dissapointed. Make sure you tighten in the right sequence. Start from center in a clockwise formation. Go for about 20 min. Drive and retorque. Then your done.

got my gaskets!!! do you guys think i should cut the flanges on the headers, like pntastar69 recommended? my dad is telling me to do the same thing...

downsized_0116001131.jpg

0116001132.jpg

Update: I have the gaskets installed, and I also cut the flanges on the headers.....and....THEY DON'T LEAK!!!! NO LEAKS!! NO LEAKS!!!
Thank you guys VERY much for helping me, and for recommending those gaskets to me!!!!!

-
Back