Damsel in distress

-
You all are too funny. I msg a couple people in my area so we will see if they are willing to help.... fingers crossed they arn't crazy :)

Battery reads at a 9.something (can't remember off hand) so charge is low but might be from sitting...correct????

Molly did not back fire upon dying.

Engine makes a "clank" noise when I try to start it.

Hoping some gets a hold of me soon with helping me as I have lost the ability to do what "a woman" such as myself is capable of. Yes that is my stance on the battle of the sexs.... There is need for both, which I assume is why some high entity/being/chemical combustion etc... made both. But that's just me :)

Yup, battery is dead as I suspected. That's probably why it won't crank over. You need to get the battery charged up and then try to start it. Also the alternator is probably bad (or has a problem with the wiring) since it allowed the battery to die. I am guessing that getting those two things fixed will get the engine running.

The oil leak is probably something totally different. Hopefully the low oil didn't cause any internal damage.

Ok getting battery charged now... if I put it in after being charged should it at least start regardless of needing new alternator or not???? I just want to make sure I'm on the right path as I'm getting super frustrated

Ok getting battery charged now... if I put it in after being charged should it at least start regardless of needing new alternator or not???? I just want to make sure I'm on the right path as I'm getting super frustrated

You have to make sure that the battery is even good enough to charge! If your charger has an amp guage on it, when you turn it on it should go up to the rated max amperage of the charger if the battery is dead but is still a good battery! Therefore, if the charger is rated at 20amps, the meter should shoot up to 20, indicating the battery is charging!

I can't preach this enough, but you HAVE to have clean connections on everything to have a chance on it starting! Clean the battery terminals and the cables with one of those little battery terminal wire brush cleaners, clean all of the connections on the starter relay while the battery is disconnected, making sure to put all terminals back in the right place! Clean each ground that goes to the engine block, the negative battery lead and the block to firewall connections as well!! This has been the solution to problems just like this many more times than I can count!!!

Clank noise? That ain't good.

If you don't receive a Miracle and it start with the battery charged, then you'll have to have help. The VW forum has a list of members all across the country who go out of their way to help each other with a breakdown and all we can do so far is sit and crack jokes.

If it doesn't turn over with a charged battery, then your next step before anything else is to get someone, whomever that may be, that is strong enough to grab the fan belt and turn the engine one way or the other and see if it is physically capable of rotating. That's the bottom line.

The flow chart goes something like this:

Engine turns by hand- check battery cables, check starter relay, check starter motor for damage or stuck bendix.

Engine doesn't turn by hand- Open purse, withdraw money, apply to problem until it goes away.

My feeling over the internet is that it scattered, but hopefully not.

Ok so according to auto zone battery is good and was at 40% got it charged, everything cleaned as suggested now won't do anything. No clank, no lights anywhere, nada... and yes I have the red on positive and black on negative. Ughhhhhhhh

I would make sure that the bulkhead connector (on the firewall) with all of the wires running into it is completely seated. I had that happen to me once, the entire car went dead.

When you install the battery cables twist and grind them onto the lead post.
You have lost your connection where before when you heard the clunk
you had connection but no voltage. Shake some terminals till you find your
break in the connection.
The main thing is to be patient as this could take awhile and be frustrating as you work thru
this diagnosis.

Be patient, Jessica. You WILL get this figured out with a little help from your friends! It's not computerized, and it's about as basic a system as can be-just gotta touch ALL the bases to find the problem. You'll get it!

Ok so I don't have enough strength to full fledged move the fan belt all the way around... but what little I could see and feel yes all puleys move... which btw way I just got shocked to hell by the one on the alternator.

Am I supposed to shake wires while battery is connected? I don't even get a spark when connecting it.

Think it's time for a strong drink and to give up for the night... as all I want to do is kick her and huge her at the same time.
Thank you all for your help.

Sounds like the battery terminals are not making good contact.

sorry, didn't read through all your thread. Did you call the member that lives in your town and offered to help?

I can't preach this enough, but you HAVE to have clean connections on everything to have a chance on it starting! Clean the battery terminals and the cables with one of those little battery terminal wire brush cleaners, clean all of the connections on the starter relay while the battery is disconnected, making sure to put all terminals back in the right place! Clean each ground that goes to the engine block, the negative battery lead and the block to firewall connections as well!! This has been the solution to problems just like this many more times than I can count!!!

^^^^^ get a battery terminal cleaner, it's a little gadget that has wire bristles, from the auto parts store. Also ask for a wire brush for cleaning those other connections Geoff mentions.

bad news. Good news is slants are not that hard to get and they cheap. I think you'd be better ahead anyways with one that has hardened seats for todays gas.

Compression test? Determine if engine is "mechanically sound" then go from there. A lot of people skip this step and tune engines with bad valves and then it has new everything and still has a misfire. :)

Oil sending thingy blew my oil everywhere and engine locked... that being said where do I search for a new engine... salvage? ???

craigslist, junk yards, or... HERE! Somebody that lives close enough to make the deal happen may be able to sell you a good running slant

Ok thank you SO very Very much for everyone's patients and help trying to get Ms. MOLLY moving again.

Attachments

• 2016-04-19 12.30.45.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 277
-
Back