Darn oil pan

-
Have you checked the transmission mount? Make sure it’s not crushed and worn out?
yes, i replaced it because it was pretty rough. I am 'kinda' sure it didnt do this when i first put it together, but its been so long i wont swear on that. Years ago when i put the stock 440 in it with a pan that wasnt notched at all, the centerlink banged the pan all to hell, so when i put together the engine in it now, i got the 187 pan and i swear i remember checking it out after i got it all together and it didnt touch it because i remember thinking what a relief, but i dont know what the heck could have changed that much

I installed the oil pan that is recommended for an A body big block swap and noticed the idler/draglink STILL hits the pan in another spot other than where the pan has the notched dimple..Is anyone else having that problem?
View attachment 1715663233 View attachment 1715663234

Engine location is critical in these swaps.
1/2" too low or offset will cause problems.
I just did one with a motor plate and the directions had the dimensions.
I'll see if I still have that tomorrow......

......i dont know what the heck could have changed that much

FWIW, my passenger side valve cover is about 1-1/2" off the firewall.....

upload_2021-1-14_19-42-56.png

As you can see the driver side is not going back any further.......

upload_2021-1-14_19-48-9.png

Maybe add a 1/4" shim on the trans mount?

Center of crankshaft to top of K frame needs to be 5 1/4"
Center of crankshaft to framerails needs to be offset towards passenger side 2 1/2"
Then make sure your valve covers are plumb to framerails.
That's your factory starting point.

ok, out here measuring it, the back of the passenger side valve cover is 1 7/8 from the firewall and the driver side is 2 3/4. The offset from the center of crank to passenger side is 3" and the distance between the center of crank to top of K-member is about 5 1/4

That area is a problem on every cars with the early center link. Put one 3 lb. sledge against the pan and hit it with another 3 lb...

Wear goggles if your hitting a hammer with a hammer! I had a red hot spark hit me in the knee hitting 2 hammer faces and it broke the skin. Had a shard in the eye once, no fun for about 90 minutes, the time it took my wife to take me to the optometrist and get it extracted with a Q-tip. She rolled the Q-tip backwards while digging out the shard and it snagged and pulled it out. She said I was lucky there was enough to catch on the Q-tip without surgery.

Wear goggles if your hitting a hammer with a hammer! I had a red hot spark hit me in the knee hitting 2 hammer faces and it broke the skin. Had a shard in the eye once, no fun for about 90 minutes, the time it took my wife to take me to the optometrist and get it extracted with a Q-tip. She rolled the Q-tip backwards while digging out the shard and it snagged and pulled it out. She said I was lucky there was enough to catch on the Q-tip without surgery.
Nice smooth, clean magnet is my best friend.

Nice smooth, clean magnet is my best friend.
It was actually aluminum....and I was even wearing my glasses but it snuck right up under them. One in a million angle once I thought about it.

It was actually aluminum....and I was even wearing my glasses but it snuck right up under them. One in a million angle once I thought about it.
Yeah I've had that happen, blowing out a intake manifold, luckily it was dust. Magnet doesn't help that.

-
Back