Dart is getting painted!

-

newguy

Reaction score
We have had the car for about five years, and other than changing the interior to black, and switching bumpers, we have not done anything to the car..... until now!

She is at the body shop getting "bright violet effect" paint and bodywork. Very pleased how the work is being done and quality. BTW it is Maaco that is doing it, and this one has put out some very nice cars including a AAR cuda, that is what made us decide to go with them.

Unfortunatly we could not afford to get the vinyl top replaced at the same time (unfortunatly two areas that have a bubble that will need attention :( ) but maybe this fall, need to re-chrome the bumpers, either find some 15x7 steel wheels or have the current ones blasted and painted body color with some dog dish caps, white bumble bee stripe, and misc missing trim pieces (rocker chrome spear, fender turn signals that mount on top, maybe new headlight bezels).

Just had to share as we were thinking about selling it since it only got driven once last year since my wife didn't want to put it in the local car cruise since it did not look as nice as most others, but now it should be different :)

Car is from California with 87K on it, all service records since new, and hoping to change it from grandma looking to nice cruiser :)

On with the pics.....
02-13-1s.jpg

02-13-2s.jpg

02-26-5s.jpg

03-04-4s.jpg

03-07-1s.jpg

03-15-4s.jpg

03-17-1s.jpg

03-17-7s.jpg

3-26001s.jpg

3-26009s.jpg

3-26010s.jpg

3-26013s.jpg

Shop production manager said it might be finished next week. We are in no rush, but if it is, I will add more pics :D

NICE!! I used to use a local MAACO shop down in S. Fl for years. They had a shop foreman that was a Mopar guy and used do do a really good job on my cars. Became friends with him and when he left MAACO he started doing jobs on his own.

Car is almost done. It is a 74 swinger. Looks pretty good, just wish they did more block sanding on it, but it will do for a driver quality paint. The paint is dusty there, and it was cloudy so it looks kind of dull/dark. We are trying to find new wheels for it, that or just put on dog dish caps, and will add a custom bumble bee stripe in white.
4-29006s.jpg

4-29005s.jpg

Bill, it looks great. Is your wife happier with it now? If you can't find aftermarket wheels right away, spraying the wheels body color and putting dog dishes will definitely spruce it up.

BTW: Which paint service did you use at Maaco. I believe they all offer: Ambassador, Presidential, Supreme, Signature & Factory Platinum levels. I also believe they usually offer two prep packages and also that color changes and jambing the doors and painting under the hood/decklid also cost more. Can I inquire what they charged? If your are not ok with mentioning this on th forum, I understand.

Did you use the normal Violet or crazy plumb ..or did you ask for more flake or something that would make the paint look wet ?

Thanks
Ian.

The paint is actually a fleet color. More metallic than plum crazy.

I don't remember which paint service, it is a base/clear with the jambs done and some dents removed and the one 1/4 panel patch. Costed her $2500. She is real happy, but I think it is still too wavy and would have spent more time block sanding it, but for the price, can't complain.

They are going to do some wet sanding to try and help make it look smoother, so I will see how much peal is still there afterwards.

We got to see it painted, but unassembled in the sun, and love the color.

I was also just checking out it's stance. You have it sitting real nice on the wheels. Just enough clearance. :thumblef:

A set of dog dish caps would set it off.

Or you could go this route.

105close.jpg

If the car has disk brakes, you'll have a big selection of wheels. The 4-door has a MAACO paint job on it. It was a drum brake car but converted to BBP. I used Magnum 500s for the wheels with 205/60-15 tires.

7 Lift.JPG

If the car has disk brakes, you'll have a big selection of wheels. The 4-door has a MAACO paint job on it. It was a drum brake car but converted to BBP. I used Magnum 500s for the wheels with 205/60-15 tires.

You would think so, but having a hard time finding a nice set for under $500 used in good shape, at least in 15". I have a pair of like new 255/60 bfg tires just waiting in the garage for the rims........

Wow, that looks great! A white tail stripe will really set it off. Now if you can get some wheels on it and lose the bumperettes you`ll go from grandma`s to grandiose!!!

I wish we could get the torque thrust D wheels, but out of our price range right now. :(

Thinking about buying these for $300 for a cheap start since we still need to eventually get the bumpers rechromed, new weatherstripping, carb rebuilt, buy the stripe from challengergary, new carpet, new steering wheel, ect
rims2.jpg

Wohoo! It just came home today. Now I need to work on the carb, ticking lifter, and tranny leak and she should be ready for the road!
002s.jpg

-
Back