dart roof skin

-

trbodrt

Reaction score
I'm now at the final stage of putting my new roof skin on my 72 dart, the donor skin lays flat and the body lines match up perfectly, my question is what steps do i need to go through to make sure the positioning is correct to achieve proper window fitment, or is what I have now going to achieve that? Any tips would be appreciated since this is my first attempt at this.

i did a roof skin swap on a duster and it was easy, no door issues at all the thing just plopped in place and I welded it in. If you are cutting the pillars, good luck.

I am only replacing the skin, I'm not that brave, I'm assuming just laying the donor skin on and welding should be okay thinking the tolerances were not that tight back then but just want to make sure. I'm talking about front and rear windshield fitment, not side glass.

The biggest part of the job is the 2 million spot welds to drill out! When I looked at the job I found there are two layers of sheet metal (forming a beam section) plus the roof skin above the doors. Above the rear window there was only one layer plus the roof skin. The rear window part had me worried, but turned out to be no problem. The other concern was did the roof seam overlap the quarter panel? I can't 100% remeber if it did but I think so. Either way it didn't cause much of a problem.

-
Back