Dash Cap Stud Size

-

retroron

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Because enquiring minds want to know.
After the winter storms passed I had my fence, which had blown down, replaced. When they (the fence people) cleaned up my side yard, as a gesture of good will, they throughout my dash cap :BangHead: (you don't want to know). Long story short, I bought a new one. Of course the new one did not have the capture nuts, hence the story.

So two days and many hours later here is what I have found. The studs are 10-24. Good luck in finding 10-24 anything. I did find however the cap is held in place with Pal nuts. Most human beings I find do not know what a Pal nut is, particularly the hardware store folks.

I found Pal nuts on line for as much as $5.00 a piece plus shipping and for as little as $0.50 plus shipping, minimum shipping of $10.00.

As a last gasp resort I went to the somewhat local NAPA dealer and found NAPA-Belcamp part number 665-3117, 32 pieces which will fit the 10-24 stud. I also found that Fastenal sells 10-24 Pal nuts, 100 per package, for $19.95. Now I suppose I could re-sell the remaining 95 Pal nuts on line and recover my cost (plus shipping of course) but my heart just isn't in it.

So there you are, a piece of somewhat useful information, or trivia. Hope this is of some use to somebody. Oh, by the way, I have 26 unused Pal nuts, should anyone need one,

Last edited:
I think Pal nuts come in hole sizes for self tapping. A .188" Pal will fit a #10 machine thread. Due to their stamped nature they deflect accordingly on a machine thread (when correctly matched). They also self tap on soft stuff, like on body badging.

Last edited:
I think Pal nuts come in hole sizes for self tapping. A .188" Pal will fit a #10 machine thread. Due to their stamped nature they deflect accordingly on a machine thread (when correctly matched). They also self tap on a soft stuff, like on body badging.
Hi Dano, You are correct. I have forwarded your:lol: email to Orchard Supply Hardware

I did learn something, I didn't know they were called Pal nuts. I always called them stamped nuts.

Common 3/16-NC hex nuts and toothed washers probably would have worked under the dash cap. Just more small hardware to fidgit with and they are capable of breaking the welded stud off of the cap if overtightened.
There are 2 different types of PAL nut. One is set for machine thread t.p.i. This type rarely seen on soft materials although the use of a PAL nut instead of a standard steel nut in any case suggests there is a weakness, be it spot weld, fiber board in the case of our gauges, whatever. Engineering at play.
The other type PAL nut is thread cutting. It travels farther per rev' creating a lag screw like thread in softer materials like pot metal and plastics.

Last edited:
-
Back