Dash caps?

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
Has anybody installed a dash "CAP"? You know the cover only ,that you see advertised all over. How does it fit and look? Can you tell the difference in the cap and the original pad? What prep work is required? Do you still have to remove the dash pad to install it? Are there any problems associated with them? Any pictures would be great.

I used a black plastic cover in my 1970 Dart and it looks awesome! I bought it on ebay, the fit was excellent, the only spot where you can notice it doesn't cover all the way is the part where the dash pad curves down the side edge, hard to even see. The grain is pretty close too. I had to cut the old dash pad down where the cracks flared up, otherwise it wouldn't glue down all the way. My cover came with silicone to hold it down. Make sure you use a lot of it to hold it down in every spot, use a lot of weight to hold it down, I used a bunch of mopar parts manuals! I left the weight on it for a full day. I didn't have to remove the dash pad. I did have to pull back (not out) the gauge cluster and radio/heater bezel where the pad tucks under but that was easy. My car has a black interior so I didn't even have to paint it, I put armorall on it and it looks good enough for a show car. Cheap fix till I can get a new pad. I felt the money (about $50) spent for this was well worth it! Keith.

I used a black plastic cover in my 1970 Dart and it looks awesome! I bought it on ebay, the fit was excellent, the only spot where you can notice it doesn't cover all the way is the part where the dash pad curves down the side edge, hard to even see. The grain is pretty close too. I had to cut the old dash pad down where the cracks flared up, otherwise it wouldn't glue down all the way. My cover came with silicone to hold it down. Make sure you use a lot of it to hold it down in every spot, use a lot of weight to hold it down, I used a bunch of mopar parts manuals! I left the weight on it for a full day. I didn't have to remove the dash pad. I did have to pull back (not out) the gauge cluster and radio/heater bezel where the pad tucks under but that was easy. My car has a black interior so I didn't even have to paint it, I put armorall on it and it looks good enough for a show car. Cheap fix till I can get a new pad. I felt the money (about $50) spent for this was well worth it! Keith.

I`m thinking the dash cap for $50.00 would be a quick fix until my pockets fill again. Got any pics of it?

Sorry, I don't have the car stored at my house. I am sure you will be happy with the dash cap!

I have a dash cap in my 69 road runner. I had the car all apart so it was easy for me to install one. I followed the direction to a T and used about 50 rubber bands placed evenly the whole length. I, like 66340SEDAN let the silicon cure for a day and it looks great. I sometime forget I have a cap and it is really hard to tell.

swok2.jpg

They're great! Bought one from www.moparsbycrane.com and it showed up slightly damaged. I emailed them with a photo and they sent a new one right away! The damaged one was put on a car for sale and we kept the good one for the Deviant project. I highly recommend the cap and the seller.

You just put them over the original cracked dash pad. They're textured to look like the originals. You can glue them on or just leave them loose, they come with some silicone and instructions.

-
Back