Dash Overhaul

-

SGGDuster

Dreaming of Burnt Rubber
Reaction score
I wish Chip Foose were involved, but alas, this is a solo deal. I want to remove the entire dash assembly because there are quite a few electrical problems that I think a wiring diagram could solve for me, I need to paint the metal dash black, and I need to install the new dash pad; I figure the best way to do all of this is to take the car away from the dash.

I know I will have to have the glass pulled (I'm kicking myself, it was out for a week about 8 months ago when I had it bead blasted, but I was in school) so I was curious as to whether I could pull it myself. It is new glass, so cracking shouldn't be a concern. Any other opinions on this course of action are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

why don't you stop at a local glass shop and see if one of the guys will moonlight and pull and reset your windshield? i tried replacing one on a 82 van and broke it putting on the trim. those guys that do it day in/out make it look easy

First off, thanks for the advice. Secondly, what about all the dash stuff? Are you suggesting I leave it at their shop and work on it there or get them to come to me to pull it? I'm sorry I don't know what you mean by "moonlight." All I know is that I wouldn't be able to drive it anywhere sans windshield.
Thank you

Do you have a place you can work on your car out of the weather? Once you get the windshield out, the dash can be unbolted and removed. This will also make working on the wiring a lot easier. I wound up buying a wiring harness and rewired the entire car. Lots of work but it's great now. I bought a dash insert from Rocky Mountain Dashes and stuffed it with Auto Meter gauges. I have had my car outside in the driveway the whole time and just covered it with a plastic tarp. You will also be able to replace leaking windshield wiper seals much easier.

powdercoated dash for post.jpg

Do you have to remove the windshield in order to get the dashpad off? I am in a similar situation. I have to replace the dashpad and also work on wiring while its off.

-
Back