dash pad removal

-

mopardart72

I'm a pretty big deal
Reaction score
if i wanted to remove the dashpad and keep it flat how could i go about filling the big gaping holes? i would really like to do the no dashpad with a nice color matched top to make it glisten

You could just remove ALL of the vinyl and foam from the pad and you should be left with a metal plate that covers the huge holes in the dash frame. Not sure what it looks like under there but if your dashpad is in utter ruin might be worth a shot.

Under the foam and vinyl from the dashpad is a sheetmetal plate with even more rectangular holes.

How good are you with a welder? If not... some sheetmetal, pop rivets and bondo.

well If your gonna smooth over the metal skeleton of whats left of the dash pad.......duraglass and bondo....but not gonna recomend the bright gleaming finish due to glare from the sun.

thats what i meant after the pad is removed what should i use to fill them to smooth it out

Put a small piece of tape (not real tight) behind each hole and slightly over-fill with J-B Weld. Next day, file & sand till flush, wipe with tack cloth, and spray with a "filling" primer, which is usually pretty thick stuff. If you wind up with a "ring" that can't be camouflaged by the primer, try using a gap filling cyno-acrylic like Slo Zap. I used to get Slo Zap at a great old school hobby shop in town.

-
Back