Dash paint

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
So pretty much the dash should have a matte finish so it doesn't glare and blind the driver.....I get that so what paint gives that kind of finish.

I am working on a car with a blue interior so the dash would have been a matte blue but I have to install a replacement dash frame that is black so I will be stripping it down and starting from the beginning.

The car is a 72 dodge dart

What paint have you used to get a nice original matte finish??

Im assuming you will be getting paint mixed and put in a rattle can?
Same supplier will have matte clear to apply.

Local (100 mi trip) PPG store did some for me for a 64 Belvedere. It is listed as a "suede" finish, an OEM Ditzler number. Like aid, dash is a low gloss, but it does have a slight roughness. I have shot low glass enamels to have such finish by shooting them real dry. As long as dash is low glass, I have to wonder if anyone would note that "suede" finish anyway!

I replicated the original "suede" finish pretty closely with Rustoleum fine texture black. Then I top coated it with some clear to dull down the texture slightly...so it would be easier to clean. You could top coat this in blue and then a matte clear. Herb's has a really nice line of interior paints. They probably have the blue color you need. Just an option for you. I assume 72's still used the "suede" finish?

dash.jpg

The suede finish paint that the factory used on dash frames was lacquer. The only place to get it is from either Frank Badalson, or Mike Mancini.....and it costs out the ying yang for a quart of it. Talk to the folks at the auto paint store, and see if they can add flattening agent to single stage color, to knock the shine down to an acceptable level. The last blue dash frame I did was my 64 Belvedere wagon. A buddy who owns a body shop just gave me some base that was an almost exact match. I shot it with that and didn't even clear it. It held up well since it was inside the car, but knowing what I know now, I wouldn't do it that way again.

burdar....where did you find that paint? I can't find it anywhere here in Western Maryland.

I can get leatherette powders in various colors. This one is a new addition to my inventory, a black/silver that really does resemble leather from a few inches.
FB_IMG_1608418006157.jpg

FB_IMG_1608434741715.jpg

I cannot remember who makes it, but @Scubakuda19 has been using some rattle cans that nicely duplicate the factory Velveteen finish.

If you are buying a mix paint, they can put a flattening agent in the mix to keep down the reflection. It can be just a little to totally flat.

You might check with Herb"s.
Also there might be a SEM paint too.

-
Back