Dead Motor

-

Dizzydean

Reaction score
Finally got to tearing into my motor. Not quiet sure what went wrong except the obvious. Its still in the car so Ill have to post more as time goes on & I get more apart.

Attachments

• PICT4153 (Medium).JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 231
  • PICT4154 (Medium).JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 226
  • PICT4155 (Medium).JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 221
  • PICT4156 (Medium).JPG
    51 KB · Views: 244
What were you doing when that rod let loose ? could not have been fun .

Just put it back together from checking the rods in the driveway. Pulled the plugs and ran a wire down to check the strokes of each piston due to a noise I heard. Turned out to be the torque converter bolts were to long so I replaced them and turned the engine by hand. The noise went away so I buttoned everything back up fired it hit the pedal twice and the rest is history..

yep I have seen that before. A '77 Aspen I bought awhile ago looked just like that

you either didnt torque them enough...or you put the rod cap on backwards...or it was gonna go anyways...

either way...it looks like the rod bolt/s gave

the pic below is of a members ''grinder'' 's 67 dart, he lost a rod in nevada...and drove it home to oceaside with a t shirt and cardboard stuffed over the hole. We he got to my house we pulled the head and found the piston and rod sitting almost at tdc...so it did not hit the crank and lock it up.

Attachments

• Photo 620.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 174
A good friend of mine traded a set of cheap chrome wheels for a 74 slant 6 powered Scamp that had the very same hole in the block, it ran & he drove it home like that. We called it the slant five. lol

-
Back