Defroster Vent Replacement 68 AC Heat controls facade.

-

hcallaway

Reaction score
If I remove this plate will it give me access to the defroster duct vents?

IMG_4464.jpeg

image.jpg

Not really, maybe a bit. You'll get more access (on the passenger side, anyway) by removing the glovebox liner. Driver's side is better access by removing the gauge cluster.

Remove the deflector under the dash and the front seat/s that will give you a bunch of access.

I am guessing the deflector will be self explanatory when I look under the dash. Seats are out. Windshield is also removed.

Remove seat as mentioned, ac diffuser lay on back and assess lol.
Can you get a hold of the vent tube from above? Be careful those are very old and brittle.

I am guessing the deflector will be self explanatory when I look under the dash
There are 2 studs attached to the bottom of the dash and the access for the nuts is through the large holes in the chrome straps from underneath

I found on the last unmolested car I took apart there are metal clips that retain the hose, the hoses were really hard to remove.

Also as you probably know there are speed nuts on the defusers

If you drop the column down, you can unbolt the whole dash assembly and rock it back to get access up by the firewall. Just loosen the lower two bolts by the kick panel, remove the small bolts holding the dash frame up by the windshield gasket and just pivot the whole dash to get access. Disconnect the battery first of course. You shouldn't have to disconnect any wiring or cables just to install those vents. You may want to think about some new vent hoses though. Usually the factory ones are complete toast by now.

I removed the glove box. I can see the defroster hose. Easy to slip it off the defuser. Nuts are another story. They want to spin and not come off.

On to the drivers side. Removed the Heater AC Facades. No access or visibility. Loosened the gauges and it would move. Speedometer cable had slack but the electrical connections would also need to be removed. I am not taking the dash out.

I have another plan of attack.

I love a dremel tool with a cut off wheel.
Plastic is already brittle.

IMG_4474.jpeg

IMG_4475.jpeg

Drivers side. Tube is staying in place. It was in perfect shape.

Drivers side. The friction of the 3 posts will hold it in firm. The hose cannot drop. It slipped right into place.

Passenger side. Plenty of slack in the tube. I put rubberized glue on the defroster vent male connector and slid it into place. Then from the glove box I mated the hose and vent.

IMG_4477.jpeg

Metallic Marroon Paint on order.

Last edited:
-
Back