Dial indicator

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have finally got around to rebuilding my 727 tranny. I have all the parts, (minus a deep pan), the book by Carl Munroe,(read from cover to cover) and all of the tools needed except for a dial indicator. Of course it is one of the first tools you need.
My question is, Is there any way to measure the end play of the input shaft accurately other than a dial indicator?

Jack

You could bolt a piece of flatbar accross the front of the bellhousing and use a piece of threaded rod mounted in the middle of that piece of steel to adjust it close to the input shaft for a reference point (if you can picture that) then slide the input shaft all the way out to it's farthest point and adjust the threaded rod against it then slide the shaft back in and check the clearance with a feeler gauge. Really wouldn't be too hard to do.

Look at someplace like Harbor Freight. You can get a decent one with a magnetic base for probably $25-$30. Besides you'll need it to degree in that next cam too.

don

I kind of figured I would have to get one. I have been checking around here for them. Nobody stocks one. This place is terrible for trying to get so-called specialty tools. My search will continue.

Jack

-
Back