difference between a833 & a883

-
I think your asking about a 18 spline or 23 spline imput shaft? The 18 was called the Hemi box.

There is no such thing as an a883. There are (7) variations of the a833 tranny;

Long and short tail shaft 23 spline (2)

Long and short tail shaft 18 spline (2)

Long and short tail shaft over drive (2)

GM version that came in Chevy GMC pickups (1)

I think your asking about a 18 spline or 23 spline imput shaft? The 18 was called the Hemi box.
true and belive it or not they came behind some max wedge 440s also.. and there is no such thing as a883 its all 833 and new process 833 with the lower first gear and 3rd and 4th gear fork swithched around basicly 4th on a normal 4 speed is 3rd on a new process. and od is just so high its not funny thats why 2nd to 3rd on a new process is such a big rpm tourqe curve loss

New Process is the name of the company Chrysler bought to build their manual transmissions. New Process Gear I believe was the name. Anyway the difference is a typo...they are all, New Process A833.

true and belive it or not they came behind some max wedge 440s also.. and there is no such thing as a883 its all 833 and new process 833 with the lower first gear and 3rd and 4th gear fork swithched around basicly 4th on a normal 4 speed is 3rd on a new process. and od is just so high its not funny thats why 2nd to 3rd on a new process is such a big rpm tourqe curve loss

Actually the OD ratio on an A833OD tranny is .73 which is right in the same ballpark as the bulk of the 5 spd trannies out there. The gear spread may not be ideal for max acceleration but it's just not a big deal on a street car.

I have had one in my 68 Barracuda for almost 60k miles now, first behind a \6 and now behind a 360.

A friend has a 833/od in a 46 pro street Plymouth coupe with a slant 6 and it gets 27 mpg on the highway. If you have a torque making 318 or a stroker the od would be perfect for the street and still get good highway mpg.

I had the o.d. behind my 340 it ran about 60-65mph at approx 2000 rpm with 3:23 i got 23 mpg strictly highway run.worked great but started locking in o.d so it is being repaired as i type new o.d gear complete with synchro hub etc.and it will go back in.papa-d

this is my old post from my other account. . the guy had a typo. . i never heard of an 883 either which is why i was asking

-
Back