different distributor caps?

-

beat2Hell

Reaction score
I thought I'd replace the distributor cap on my '65 Valiant with a new one I had laying around. The new one was for my '74 Dart with electronic ignition that I never got around to using. When installed, it backfires or tries to spin backwards, as though the timing's way off. i guess this probably indicates so, but are the distributor caps and distributors in general different between the 60's and mid-70s?

did you look at each cap side by side and see if the contacts are shifted a bit or something??

i know almost everytime i do plugs i swap the 3-4 wires and it makes it very angry lol...

i think they are diff with one with points one not

Nope, one cap fits 'em all, pretty much. Don' *** me about "which brand" because the bastards that sell 'em keep changin stuff. Blue Streak used to be great, but I hear lately that they are in the dumps, too.

Maybe you got the wires switch, broke the rotor, or just got a poorly made cap.

Did you do ANYTHING else, like play with or remove the distributor? Might have broken the plastic drive gear?

I thought I'd replace the distributor cap on my '65 Valiant with a new one I had laying around. The new one was for my '74 Dart with electronic ignition that I never got around to using. When installed, it backfires or tries to spin backwards, as though the timing's way off. i guess this probably indicates so, but are the distributor caps and distributors in general different between the 60's and mid-70s?

Double check your wire orientation on the cap. It sounds as if they are on incorrectly/mixed up.

Nope, one cap fits 'em all, pretty much. Don' *** me about "which brand" because the bastards that sell 'em keep changin stuff. Blue Streak used to be great, but I hear lately that they are in the dumps, too.

Maybe you got the wires switch, broke the rotor, or just got a poorly made cap.

Did you do ANYTHING else, like play with or remove the distributor? Might have broken the plastic drive gear?

the CH410 blue strak cap by standard is the only cap i know of that you can get with brass contacts... i think napa has one but they are ground off center from the factory... they will not work....

-
Back