Differential plug removal

-

Roadart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
How do i remove the rubber(?) diff. plug without messing it up? It is on a 73 A body diff.. I am used to steel plugs threaded in.

You should be able to get under it with a trim tool or a flat blade screwdriver and pull it out. If it is brittle be prepared to replace it and try to not get pieces into the diff.

it is soft,so it SHOULD come out in one piece. Thanks for the reply.

Go on rock Auto and look at what they look like. It will help you understand where to push pull pry etc

Im curious, what rear used a rubber plug? Im going to guess 7.25. I havent serviced a 7 1/4 in 25 years.

Not sure what rear it is. po changed a lot of stuff out(front susp. i belive rear) Car is 72 but i believe the rear is 73???

It's possible the rear was originally threaded, and either someone lost it (in the drain below the lift LOL) or screwed up the threads. In any case if you break it there are various "universal" ones for sale

I believe it is an 8 1/4 rear. After checking rock auto site.i believe the PO said it was 8 1/4. (memory goes like everthing else) Thanks

Im pretty positive the 8 1/4 had a metal plug like the 8 3/4. The later ones might have used a plug.

-
Back