differential relocate

-

MOUSE

Reaction score
OK .. I want to move my rearend rear ward so I can take advantage of all of the wheel well opening. would that just be measuring and drilling some new locator holes? I think I read someone doing that on here but I can't find it. Is that posible ? help me out here. Thanks in advance. :burnout:

I don't know why you would do that. You can get a 28" tall tire in tbe stock wheel well without moving the axle anywhere. Minitub with axle in stock location I have used 325/50/15's & the rear of the cars wheel lip is 2.5" down on the rim burried... Car sits real low with no rubbing

I moved my rear back 1 inch in my 66 Dart when I did the 3 inch spring relocation/mini tub.I needed room for 29x15x12 slicks/rims,worked for me.:D

Measure both left and right wheel well openings before you start. You'll find there is move space available on one side that the other. Don't over shoot the close side.

I moved my rear back 1 inch in my 66 Dart when I did the 3 inch spring relocation/mini tub.I needed room for 29x15x12 slicks/rims,worked for me.:D

Diff year there Scott. I'm sure a 29" tall tire will fit in his wheel well without moving the axle centerline. It just depends on how low you set the rear.

If you move you're rear back, make sure you're trans yoke it still engages fully into the tailshaft sufficiently.

We moved the 9" rear in my '72 Scamp rearward 1" so I would not have to trim the leading edge of the wheelwell opening. Here's how: There is an axle locating pin hole in the rearend spring seat. Drill a same size hole exactly 1" forward of the existing hole. No hack job here, do it right. Next: do the same thing to the shackle plate. Same deal here, do this correctly. You may have to extend emergency brake cables. Check driveshaft, may be too short, mine wasn't. This is done all the time in Stock elaminator drag racing. Easy,peasy. Good luck

We moved the 9" rear in my '72 Scamp rearward 1" so I would not have to trim the leading edge of the wheelwell opening. Here's how: There is an axle locating pin hole in the rearend spring seat. Drill a same size hole exactly 1" forward of the existing hole. No hack job here, do it right. Next: do the same thing to the shackle plate. Same deal here, do this correctly. You may have to extend emergency brake cables. Check driveshaft, may be too short, mine wasn't. This is done all the time in Stock elaminator drag racing. Easy,peasy. Good luck

thanks . don't have a drive shaft yet and won't have e-brake.

I put 1/2 aluminum plates in front of my front spring mounts to space the rear end back.

Make sure with moving the rear end back on factory cars that it won't get too close to the fuel tank. My new fuel tank was "massaged" by the diff cover, but I loosened the tank and made sure it was moved towards the rear as far as it could go and all fits nice!
I'm running an 8.25 rear.

I put 1/2 aluminum plates in front of my front spring mounts to space the rear end back.

thanks guys for all the advice . the car is mini tubed , springs moved in. the trunk has been cut out and reworked to fit a fuel cell thats half in the trunk and half under the car. there's room.

-
Back