differential

-

MOUSE

Reaction score
I put this question in the wrong spot before so lets try this. I am looking for some instruction on how to set up a spool in my 742 8 3/4. A book, online, video , somebody that knows. ALSO with green bearing do you just install the axle or is there some kind of adjustment.

thanks in advance:happy1:

Do you mean installing a spool in a differential that already has the gears set up or actually setting up the gears and all?

I don't believe spools have a provision for the factory type axles to butt against to adjust factory type bearings so you use "green" bearings and they have no adjustment so you just slide them in and torque the bolts down to 35 ft. lbs

gears and all. setting up the carrier . how tight to get the bearings. how deep the pinion goes

gears and all. setting up the carrier . how tight to get the bearings. how deep the pinion goes

OK. That gets real involved and requires some special tools. Lets start with the tools needed

Dial indicator with magnetic base

Inch lb rotating torque wrench. A click type will not work. An old style beam type works but their not as easy to read, but you can use one if used properly

A GOOD accurate torque wrench with capabilities of torqueing to 240 ft. lbs. Don't even think of borrowing a click type wrench from the loan a tool program at the local auto parts supplier because most likely it won't even be anywhere close to accurate

12" Spanner wrench

Drivers to install bearing races and a press to install bearings

A set of checking bearings for the pinion are not a necessity but sure make things a ton easier. Without them you could be pressing the rear pinion bearing off and back on several times to get the pattern right and that requires a press and a large bearing plate. You can buy checking bearings or if you have a die grinder you can make a set yourself in about 10-15 minutes and save a few bucks. You have to go slow when removing material because if you take off too much it can let the bearing **** and give false readings.

A yoke holder.

A pinion setting tool. There are several on the market and the cheapest is from Ratech. Summit sells it for about $25. Haven't used it so I'm not sure how well it works. A 4" base depth mic will also work and IMO is easier to use than the professional depth tool I own.

A way to mount the case to make servicing it easy. Their an odd shape and don't lend well to clamping them down in the vise.

That's all the specialized tools I can think of. The rest are general hand tools.

Give me an idea of your experience with differentials and mechanics in general. If you haven't done a fair amount of mechanical repair you'd really be better off finding someone to help you or just set it up because it's real involved and precise. As little as .002" of an inch can skew the results.

Do you have access to all those tools? If so we'll go on. It will get real involved from here and if you don't have all those tools I don't want to spend a bunch of time writing it up for naught

BTW: have you tried a basic google search just to see what pops up?

Check out this thread I started to showcase home made tools and you'll see the hoop I welded together for mounting a 8-3/4 case on my engine stand. It's post # 149. In post #'s 162 and 228 you'll find a couple home made yoke holders

I have never done tail gears . thought since I can do everything else I could do this. I've been on line and have seen folks do this without all the special tools. I've read a 4 page deal from richmond but it was kind of vague. guess I'll just take it in . can't afford to make mistakes. thanks again

Ok. If your an experienced mechanic I'm sure it's something that you could learn. Since your an experienced mechanic I'm sure you know that a lot of people talk a big talk but in the end what they say may make something work but it isn't going to work it's best and may not last long. What I'm getting at is if you can't afford to make mistakes I'm not sure how you'd do it without the special tools I listed. Would you assemble an engine without checking the bearing clearances and torqueing them? Same principals apply here. I hear ya on the Richmond stuff. I have the Richmond video and it's kinda vague too.

I can do the best shot at a write up I can but it'll include the use of the tools I mentioned and I know no shortcuts to not using them. If you plan on trying to do it without the special measuring tools there's no use in me wasting my time writing it up. I don't mean to be rude is saying it straight. That's the only way I know to get it out

BTW: have you looked on YouTube for video's? Just a thought

yeah I looked on youtube. someone had a video about setting it up, but left out a lot and the vid was dark. one of my family was telliing me it's easy to do but he lives in detroit.

Setting up a differential does take quite a few steps so I can see where it could get quite involved and people may skip some parts feeling there not all that important to add to the video. Generally setting up a differential isn't all that hard if you have the tools to do it but sometimes you get an ornery gear set that can give you fits. I've had a couple that were real difficult to get a decent pattern on but since your asking about doing one with a spool I assume your using it in a race only application where a noisy set of gears isn't much of an issue. Last night I started doing a 3rd member with a set of Richmond 3.91 gears and a spool for my car when I go to the track and I set the pinion depth to exactly what is written on the pinion and double checked it and ran a pattern sweep and it's hardly even on the bottom (toe) of the tooth on the drive side. Double checked everything and it's what Richmond says to set it at but it's not right so now I get to wing it and find the right pin shim. Luckily I have setup bearings so I can zip it apart, change the shim and have it back together in very little time.

BTW: if you noticed I said it isn't that bad of a job if you have the tools. The first one I did I only had the very basic tools necessary to do the job and it was a whole lot more work and time consuming than it is for me now that I have all the necessary tools and extras like setup bearings and a case mount adapter that I built to mount a case on my engine stand. That really helped a lot because it's mounted solid and I can rotate it when needed. I used to strong arm them in a big vise and man is that work and can be dangerous because the case is so odd shaped it's hard to get them clamped down.

BTW: in post # 4 I mentioned checking out a thread on home made tools and I errantly forgot to add the link. Sorry about that. Here it is

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=58818

Like this

10475156_625373784247739_507439312_n.jpg

I'm going to see if I can find that book locally. if not I'll order it . looks like what I'm looking for. thanks fishy68

-
Back