Dilema

-

mhuppertz

Reaction score
I have a '73 date coded 440 block, 213 heads with 2.14" in and 1.88" ex Manley race valves, a set of KB Hyperutectic (KB 146 .030, 1.09" pin, foating or press) with the raised area for quench, a set of weak factory LY rods, an awesome set of 440 six pack rods which are polished and bushed for .990 BBC pins, and soon to have a 10-10 forged crank.

I love these pistons but can't use them on my awesome rods, would have to use the LY's, and I don't trust them under boost (future).

I know the six pack rods get miligned a lot on the Internet, but they are lighter than my Hemi rods (which I used to wrap to 8k) and much stronger in the beam and on the big end than wimpy LY rods. They appear to be unbreakable with ARP's. Sucks.

What should I do?

Make a choice. You've reserached them and found the usual lack of consensus. So the next step is make a decision and go with it. Personally, now hearing about potential boost - I'd say run the LYs and KBs until such time as you have the equipment for boost, then update the rotating assembly with forged pistons and the heavy rods. KB hypers are not acceptable for boosted applications.

I guess you are right, I should stick with the LY's for now. I probably won't make enough power with ported dino iron heads to hurt them anyway.
I miss my Hemi engine!

Ok, the plan is KB 146 +.030 pistons, LY rods smoothed, weight matched and sized, ported 213 heads with 2.14" and 1.88" Manley race valves, ported, forged .010 .010 crank, Performer 440 with a 1" open spacer, whatever headers I can beg, borrow or steal (just kidding) maybe some partial fenderwells with 2" dia, 42" long primary tubes, and a main stud girdle. Will get a mechanical cam but haven't decided on the specs. The headers are going to be the most expensive thing on the engine! Looking for mid 500hp but a huge flat torque curve all the way up the RPM scale.

Doable?

No need for a girdle, the power will be dictated by the quality of the head work. But - I don't think overall it's a bad package.

-
Back