Dipstick issues

-

jlindemann

Reaction score
I have a '64 Barracuda that has a 318 in it. I was pretty sure that it had the original trans when we bought it 10 years ago. I am just finally getting back to the restoration and noticed the dipstick that came with it has the end cut off it. So I ordered a factory one from Year One and it didn't fit, too long. Then my Dad went to AZ and found one from another '64 Mopar. But had the same issue as the Year One dipstick, too long. Any ideas? Is it not the original trans? What is the easiest way to determine what trans is in it? Thanks in advance.

Sorry I actually got it from Laysons:
[SIZE=-1]TM-02951[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]New Chrysler dipstick. Small Block - All models[/SIZE]

Huh. I thought 904's and 727's used different length dipsticks but I could be wrong

Try here................coperacingtrans.com/

Different part #'s............. 727 or 904

Ya gotta figure out what trans ya have 1st

The difference can be decided in the shape of the pan......one is square and the other has a bump out at the tube location......not sure at the moment do to too many barley pops.

Is there a way that I can determine the trans type for sure? It looks like it has some numbers stamped above the pan, but I have no idea what they mean? Any help would be greatly apprecaited.

If your pan is this shape (bump out top left) then it is a 727, if square then 904.
This is an after market pan w/ drainplug, but the general shape is the same.

CRT%20Part%20010.jpg

Mine does not have the bump out that you showed in the picture. Then I guess that means I have a 904. Would this be the factory trans that came on a '64 Barracuda? I guess I will have to look for a 904 specific dipstick, like the one shown above.

-
Back