Direct Connection K Frame I.D.

-

Standonit1972

Reaction score
I have what I believe is a direct connection k frame for a big block dart. It’s set up with spool mounts and was installed on my 73 Dart big Block. I am going to be selling it as I am going to a tubular front suspension. I will have upper and lower control arms, the k frame, and the strut rods. What I would like to know is how to identify it. Thanks.

You should know by now the pictures will tell what it is for those of us who know what they look like. If it was in your big block Dart, show the motor mounts too, they should go with the k-frame...

You should know by now the pictures will tell what it is for those of us who know what they look like. If it was in your big block Dart, show the motor mounts too, they should go with the k-frame...
I plan on doing that, but I was hoping someone had a picture or info on what to look for.

Mopar A-body Big Block Spool Mount K-frame Dodge Plymouth - auto... (craigslist.org) If you look at the 1st pic you can see how the "pedestals" have been cut and moved back. If I remember correct its about 3/4" on 1 side and a little less on the other. Thats the easiest way to tell. I've had several over the yrs and they all were like this. This 1 is not mine and I dont know anything about it but I used the ad because it had pics

Mopar A-body Big Block Spool Mount K-frame Dodge Plymouth - auto... (craigslist.org) If you look at the 1st pic you can see how the "pedestals" have been cut and moved back. If I remember correct its about 3/4" on 1 side and a little less on the other. Thats the easiest way to tell. I've had several over the yrs and they all were like this. This 1 is not mine and I dont know anything about it but I used the ad because it had pics

Thank You. That’s what I was looking for.

DC k-members (at least the one I measured) was 3/4" and 1" (passenger/driver side respectively), but that was not the best fit so I tweaked the numbers a little (13/16" and 1-3/16"). BUT, there are ways to tell the difference between a home built and a DC one and that takes pictures. Also, you'll probably the worst welds on the DC as opposed to home built.

As Promised. Pics of the k frame that was on my 73 Dart Sport. Let me know what you think. Mike

29FC6971-A83A-4001-B817-D83B836EB000.jpeg

69E6C18B-8A00-4DD9-B393-4E0192439311.jpeg

6E725A43-BF2D-4EB5-926A-E24E1A42DC6A.jpeg

86E793F4-07D8-484A-9792-E61106977B99.jpeg

A2DBA7E4-3249-43CD-9979-FC3F746926E0.jpeg

A9C1E7EF-49A4-42F9-B12B-9E03542A52B4.jpeg

FBC430CB-2AB6-49D9-8A2A-CF459652778A.jpeg

Take a pic of each motor mount saddle from the side. Specifically like this. This is an original DC k-member.

P1010887.JPG
P1010889.JPG

My first inclination is that it is NOT an original, but a copy (the height of the cut on the driver side and the angle of the "support" braces on the back of the saddle). That's not to say that they were all cut the same, though. The crappy welds are consistent with an original, however. Look at my pics of the known original.

My first inclination is that it is NOT an original, but a copy (the height of the cut on the driver side and the angle of the "support" braces on the back of the saddle). That's not to say that they were all cut the same, though. The crappy welds are consistent with an original, however. Look at my pics of the known original.
Yeah. It does have the same crappy welds. I have seen similar k frames claiming to be dc units that looked similar. It will be going up for sale as I am not going to use it.

I'd probably advertise it as a likely original, but in the end it really doesn't matter to most people as a home built will serve the same purpose. Also, do not be afraid of shipping. They weigh around 35 lbs. Last one I shipped cost around $50.

I'd probably advertise it as a likely original, but in the end it really doesn't matter to most people as a home built will serve the same purpose. Also, do not be afraid of shipping. They weigh around 35 lbs. Last one I shipped cost around $50.
Thanks Jim. I appreciate the information. Mike

-
Back