Disc Brake lower balljoint question

-

roaddevil

Reaction score
Hello, I have a problem with this disc brake conversion kit I purchased on eBay. I thought I could just drill out the lower ball joints to make them fit. However, the bolt pattern on the new spindles is 4.5 inches, while on the ball joints it’s only about 3.85 inches. Which lower ball joints do I need to order to fit my spindles?

IMG_1448(1).jpg

IMG_1449(1).jpg

IMG_1450(1).jpg

First, there are proper terms to use.
The red arrows point to the steering knuckle.

1724837153920.jpeg

The yellow arrow points to the actual spindle.
If you have steering knuckles like these, you need the 1973-76 A body disc brake lower ball joints. The B and E bodies use the same ones.

Last edited:
Moog used to be the best. Nowadays, they are sometimes good, sometimes crap.
Take a look at this lower control arm bushing:

FER 127.JPG

FER 128.JPG

Yeah...that bushing is off center. GREAT quality there, guys.

First, there are proper terms to use.
The red arrows point to the steering knuckle.

View attachment 1716295740

The yellow arrow points to the actual spindle.
If you have steering knuckles like these, you need the 1973-76 A body disc brake lower ball joints. The B and E bodies use the same ones.
sorry but my english is not the best :-( But what you say was exactly my guess

sorry but my english is not the best :-( But what you say was exactly my guess

Hey, I wasn't criticizing your use of English, you write fine from what I can tell. Most people refer to the unit as a "spindle" but it isn't the correct term. It's just like calling a limited slip differential a Posi when the correct term for Mopars is Sure Grip.

Get ball joints for a 1974 duster.

Are you sure? I'm not. I've seen drum brakes on A bodies as late as 1976. Maybe they modified the 73-76 Drum knuckles to match the mounting points of the disc units?

I've been told ProForged is vastly superior to Moog. Good looking product anyway, I can't attest to durability yet.

Moog k-781, k-783

Or whatever your parts store crosses these over too. I like Moog the best

Moog is junk now. I've gotten lower ball joints that were ridiculously tight, ones that had slop straight out of the box, and even one that came with a castle nut that had no threads in it.

Proforged has been the best quality OE replacement parts I've seen lately. The other option is to spend a bunch more money and get race stuff like Howe. But Moog is hot garbage.
Are you sure? I'm not. I've seen drum brakes on A bodies as late as 1976. Maybe they modified the 73-76 Drum knuckles to match the mounting points of the disc units?

The upgraded 10" drum knuckles that started around November of the '73 production used the same lower ball joints as the disks. Not sure what happened from August to November with the drums but I don't see a reason to restart that discussion because the parts references used by most places won't deal with it anyway. If you look up a '74 Dart or Duster it only shows one style of lower ball joint (the later disk style) and does not specify disk or drum.

I've been told ProForged is vastly superior to Moog. Good looking product anyway, I can't attest to durability yet.

Yes, much better than Moog. I've got tens of thousands of miles on some of my Proforged parts at this point, I haven't had any issues with durability.

Hey, I wasn't criticizing your use of English, you write fine from what I can tell. Most people refer to the unit as a "spindle" but it isn't the correct term. It's just like calling a limited slip differential a Posi when the correct term for Mopars is Sure Grip.

Yes, all '73-6 A-bodies use the same upper and lower ball joint regardless of which brakes it has.

Moog is junk now. I've gotten lower ball joints that were ridiculously tight, ones that had slop straight out of the box, and even one that came with a castle nut that had no threads in it.

Proforged has been the best quality OE replacement parts I've seen lately. The other option is to spend a bunch more money and get race stuff like Howe. But Moog is hot garbage.
2nded proforged is good stuff, that's what i've been buying/installing lately. i've also been having good luck with mevotech "supreme" and some Delco "gold".

the only thing moog is good for is the offset upper control arm bushings.

That’s too bad. Used to be my go too. I’m glad a have two sets of old old stock moon’s left in my shelf. One set of lowers for Kelsey Hayes 4 piston and one set for the 73 and up…

Guess I’ll have to search for another brand moving forward

Regardless, the OP can use the numbers for parts crossover purposes at the parts store to help get him rolling

-
Back