Distributor install ?

-
Go get one of those telescoping magnets on a stick from the parts store. If you are going to use a flathead screwdriver you will need to use 2 of them and it is a *****.

i use a large flat tip screw and turn it counter clock wise so it walks up the gear...then use a needle nose plier to grab it.

I had to do exactly what 360scamp said, except I only used one screwdriver- used a telescoping magnet to help lift while I carefully rotated it CCW with a large screwdriver. Once the gear is un-meshed with the cam gear, it will lift right out.

If I don't need to pull it, then I just use a large screw driver and walk it around where it needs to be. I have a pair of duck bill pliers to pull them with.

If your just installing a new distributor why do you think you need to reposition the oil pump drive shaft?

Because the engineers at MSD are idiots and the dist shaft isn't lined up like it should be. If you stick it in without moving the oil pump shaft, the rotor will be pointing at #2 cylinder.

On mine, the MSD was about 45 degrees different than the stock one.

If I don't need to pull it, then I just use a large screw driver and walk it around where it needs to be. I have a pair of duck bill pliers to pull them with.

Because the engineers at MSD are idiots and the dist shaft isn't lined up like it should be. If you stick it in without moving the oil pump shaft, the rotor will be pointing at #2 cylinder.

Oh Ok. Thanks for the clarification guys.

Not so fast with the blame game. The old mopar engine book showed the slot on the dist pointing slightly left of center, the new book shows the timing slightly right of center. I use the older method. But it has already been stated bring the piston to TDC and use a large screwdriver to align the dist slot to your preference.

Don't know where the magnet thing came into play, all he was asking was how to rotate the oil drive shaft, not pull it out lol.

Not so fast with the blame game. The old mopar engine book showed the slot on the dist pointing slightly left of center, the new book shows the timing slightly right of center. I use the older method. But it has already been stated bring the piston to TDC and use a large screwdriver to align the dist slot to your preference.

I'm not sure what "NEW" book your talking about, but to the left of center is correct, and has been on the LA small block for ever. With the MSD dist, you have to point it almost 45 deg clockwise of stock.

MSD had this design for over 25 years and should have made it correctly when it was designed, no other dist manufacturer has it wrong.

I called MSD when I got my dist because I thought it was a a screw up and after I talked to a few guys there, I found out that is the way they made it and when I explained to them how the stock dist is, they just said to move the wires.

When I spend good money on parts, I expect them to be made correctly, especially from a well known company like MSD and if they choose to change something like the dist alignment, that's fine, but they should say so in the instructions and they don't. I shouldn't have to find out about it after I have my car tore down, especially when I'm working around a 671 and trying not to lean on my fenders. And I sure as h3ll don't want to hear some Chevy idiot tell me to "just move the wires"

Don't know where the magnet thing came into play, all he was asking was how to rotate the oil drive shaft, not pull it out lol.

I have advanced the driveshaft with just a telescoping magnet. It will work. You just grab it with the magnet, lift up and rotate it where you want it then drop it back down and slide the magnet off. Any way (using a magnet, screwdriver or combo) will work. I think that's what he meant.

I have advanced the driveshaft with just a telescoping magnet. It will work. You just grab it with the magnet, lift up and rotate it where you want it then drop it back down and slide the magnet off. Any way (using a magnet, screwdriver or combo) will work. I think that's what he meant.

Never had to use a magnet, its always worked for me with just a large flat head.

Never had to use a magnet, its always worked for me with just a large flat head.

I didn't mean you had to use a magnet. Re-read my response and you'll see I said it'd work doing it either way. I did it once with a pickup magnet because I didn't have a big screwdriver handy.

I didn't mean you had to use a magnet. Re-read my response and you'll see I said it'd work doing it either way. I did it once with a pickup magnet because I didn't have a big screwdriver handy.

Gotcha 8)

-
Back