DIY 14" SBP steel wheels

-

dartswinger71318

Reaction score
Has anyone here widened a steel wheel, either cut and band or take the center out and transplant it in a wider wheel. Stockton Wheel and The Mopar Dude did, not sure if they still do. I'm a Union Sheetmetal fabricator and have access to equipment to achieve it, just not sure if it safe to do.
Thanks

Stockton can turn a 14 inch into a 15 inch.

And can widen just about anything, steel

Is it safe?

Don't know.

Is it done all the time, yep.

Would I trust it. On the fence!

Has anyone here widened a steel wheel, either cut and band or take the center out and transplant it in a wider wheel. Stockton Wheel and The Mopar Dude did, not sure if they still do. I'm a Union Sheetmetal fabricator and have access to equipment to achieve it, just not sure if it safe to do.
Thanks

Why don't you tell us what size you're looking for and who knows...someone may have a set for a good price

Guys here in Hugo MN did a pair for me, turned out real nice just like factory. Yes I trust them.

15 x 7 sbp on mopar rallys. I told the guy I did not know mopar made 15 x 7 sbp wheels, he said they don't We Do !

Brian&Jim.jpg

Why don't you tell us what size you're looking for and who knows...someone may have a set for a good price
I have a wanted post up for 14" SBP 5"
1/2" wide steel wheels, I had planned on putting 225/70 on them.
I've located 1 set in Arizona, just not cost effective to ship across the country. Just curious about widening them .

I have a wanted post up for 14" SBP 5"
1/2" wide steel wheels, I had planned on putting 225/70 on them.
I've located 1 set in Arizona, just not cost effective to ship across the country. Just curious about widening them .

what made you decide on a 5 inch wide wheel?
i suppose you have a set of 225/70s kicking around?

now, here is the kicker...the minimum approved rim width for a 225 tire is 6 inches
so, even if you were to find a set of 14X5s you would need to have them widened an inch to be safe

so really, this is what you'd want
[SOLD] - 14x7 SBP steelies (2)

(the ad is marked for sale, but it could have been timed out, who knows, but like you said, shipping could be a deal breaker)

are you dead set on steelies?

what made you decide on a 5 inch wide wheel?
i suppose you have a set of 225/70s kicking around?

now, here is the kicker...the minimum approved rim width for a 225 tire is 6 inches
so, even if you were to find a set of 14X5s you would need to have them widened an inch to be safe

so really, this is what you'd want
[SOLD] - 14x7 SBP steelies (2)

(the ad is marked for sale, but it could have been timed out, who knows, but like you said, shipping could be a deal breaker)

are you dead set on steelies?
Steelies is my first choice and as you know 14" SBP wheels there is not a lot of choices, rallyes, craigers or steel. The plan is body color wheel, dog dish caps.
20181014_145832.jpg

fair enough

here is an interesting read up on it
Widening Steel Wheels - FordMuscle
this place (stockton) does not actually widen your wheels, it simply swaps your SPB center into a rim width of your choice

i guess it it were me
i would grab a second set of wheels, cut one on half, cut the other in bands, and weld the bands in between the halfs
and then pray that my welds are airtight and even enough to make the wheel balancable

but in all fairness, i wouldnt
i would pick up the phone and call stockton

having said that, i dont have access to the tools you do
so maybe swapping the centers would work for you, just look at the ford article i posted and follow that

-
Back