Do you ever drive with your top up?

-
The only 'vert I had was a B body Road Runner, the only time the top was up was when it was raining outside & when it was stored in the garage.
My 69 Road runner convertible I called the VRTBIRD. I only drove it top down. Mostly because it only had a frame with no material on it for the 2 years I had it.
VRTBIRD1.jpg
me and the vert.jpg
17690949_1823215314608787_1329943543_n.jpg

Just recently back in the convertible game, I had a 1999 Sebring 1999-2004.
1280x960.jpg

It was my daily driver so it saw it all. If at all possible I had the top down. Sometimes if it was too hot like a long drive to the Grand Canyon I might need to put it up.
Yes I might have the top down with the windows up because the dash vents worked better for the heat on your hands and face. Had the top down into the 30s.

A coupe months ago I purchased a 1969 Polara 500, just got the top and windows working so the top hasn't been up since.
IMG_4836.JPG

Alan

Top down if it's not raining and the wife doesn't look too blue. As the cool of the evening comes on, the heater gradually goes to max, then the windows go up to cut down on wind chill. The little woman is sooo cold blooded, I wired in a 12vt, heated motorcycle jacket for her to wear.
IMG_3361.JPG

The goal is to have at least a three season - daily diver. That means 2 1/2 seasons of rain driving around here. One good northwest rain storm made these fresh air cowl holes evident.

2.jpg

Up to my elbows in POR-15 now.:D

We take a lot of 3-6 day road trips and have gotten caught in the rain many times. If it's nice the top is down, don't mind the cold (MN) do a lot of fall driving to see the fall colors. The heater gets a lot of use and you layer up clothes and wear some gloves. Went around Lake Superior in 2009 in 68 Dart GT vert in July, I don't think it ever got over 60 degrees. A lot of fun but chilly.
Looking to do Route 66 this year over a 3 week span, so I'm sure we'll run through a lot of rain.

64 Val, top is mostly down, even on Interstates but......
For instance I've driven it to Carlisle 3 times. I live 4 miles from an Ohio Turnpike gate which feeds directly into the PA turnpike. About 320 miles each way, around 5 hrs at 65-70 mph with one stop at halfway point. There is an exit right at Carlisle so it's pretty much entrance ramp to exit ramp. Since it's in July the weather is warm. When I'm blasting through the mostly 2 lane PA turnpike, up and down hills, through tunnels, curving through the hills, running alongside a truck with18 tires singing on the pavement, the noise is deafening (and probably damaging). So my Carlisle mode is top up, rear window unzipped and down, side windows up and floor vents open. Still too loud to hear much music but it gets me there without going insane. As soon as I get to Carlisle, I ALWAYS stop at that first gas station right off the exit to fill up (one tank trip) and put the top down so I cruise into the show topless except for my Panama.

Shorter trips on Interstates, the top Is down. Now that I finally installed the heater, I may try that on colder dsys.
One thing I never do is drive top down with the windows up. Looks dorky (no offense Duggie)

I've had 4 convertibles over the years, they were driven daily except in the winter, never put the windows up with the top down. 2 of them had a/c, and it was on with the top up on the really hot days, the last one I generally only put the top down in the evenings, too hot during the day. I am not likely going to own another one, they are lots of fun but they are not very practical for me these days.

-
Back