Do you have a 67 barracuda 383 7 blade fan picture?

-

clementine

Flight risk
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is the 67 barracuda BB 7 blade fan a unicorn? Or does it exist right under my nose? I seek a picture of a 7 blade fan for a 67 barracuda with 383. Sorry if they are all the same. I have a line on a guy that has a bunch of 7 blades and might pick one up for the future. If my car is one year only (as I have experienced in the past) I would want to pick up the one that looks closest. Clear as mud? perfect.

Radiator Fan# 2863224 - 7 Blade - A - B ...
bluestarperformance.com · In stock

Thanks FABO!

I believe the original fan was a 213 which was a 1 3/4 pitch fan. The 224 is 2 1/2 pitch fan I believe. Depends on what options it came with. If its like a big block dart and is common to all a bodies it was not available with air conditioning and power steering.

CORRECTION
above stated is wrong, original fan is a 202 or 203, one year only fan that uses no fluid/thermal drive unit. furthermore a 213 is a 1.5 inch pitch fan and the 224 is a 2 inch pitch fan.

Last edited:
If it matters to you, my 383 Mopar 7-blade fan has the Mopar part number stamped on it and is balanced with extra weight. It is not a universal fan.

I would love a picture of the fans if possible. Indentations and blade shape would be a tremendous help. If in the car, its no problem, just a picture of one blade will give me enough information. Numbers are not important right now. I dont believe the fans Im looking at have any. BUT overall diameter would be a help as well.

Thanks fellas!

Mine is a '68 cuda with factory 18" 7 blade fan. Hope these pics will help.
100_2853.JPG
100_2856.JPG
100_2857.JPG
100_2858.JPG

Yes, it's a unicorn! A one year only part for '67 'Cuda and Dart GTS w. 383 engine, 2" pitch, 18" diameter, part number 2863202. The reason I know this is because I took the one you see below off my '68 Coronet (383) a few years ago and went to a clutch fan. At the time I didn't know what it was, figured it was just a garden-variety solid fan. It had been sitting on my shelf for a little bit and knowing I'd probably never use it I decided to bring it to Carlisle and sell it. The blades have small dents where they hit the alternator bolt that had backed out and it had been painted at some point. I had it priced at $60 because it was a nice OE part that you don't find all too often but figured I'd get $25-$30 for it tops.

So here's where the story gets interesting. A good friend of mine is a Mopar parts Rain Man. I'm not kidding, this guy knows EVERYTHING. He used to work as a parts guy at a Dodge dealer in the muscle car days and his brother was a famous magazine writer back then too. For some odd reason he seems to really know cooling fans and can recite part numbers for specific applications off the top of his head, no joke. A little nutty if I say so myself but true nonetheless.

Anyway, his Carlisle vendor spot is directly across from mine. At one point he came over to chat and sees the fan on my table. He says hey, there is something about that fan part number that does not look familiar, I'm going to look it up. He went back to his spot, got out his laptop with all the parts numbers (seriously!) and then came back a little later and said his suspicion was correct - it is in fact a '67-only Dart GTS/Barracuda 383 cooling fan. He showed me the actual page from the factory parts manual he scanned on the computer. He told me I should re-price it at at least $150! I couldn't believe it! No clue how it wound up on my car.

FYI, the more common part number is the one ending in 224 like mentioned above. The reason he noticed the part number in the first place was because whoever had painted it put a piece of tape over the number so it could be made out. He also told me that there was a specific spacer that was supposed to be used with it but the one I had was too tall. If I remember what he said it was supposed to be .7" but don't quote me on that. If you need that exact info I can ask him for you.

Weird how stuff like this happens sometimes like, I just learned about this part two weeks ago by chance then here you are asking about the very same thing. Gotta love the minutiae that goes along with these cars!
IMG_2302.jpg

IMG_2304.jpg

IMG_2305.jpg

IMG_2306.jpg

OK couple more tidbits of info regarding this "202" fan. Member Ch1ll alerted me to the fact that there is another fan listed for the '67 A body big block cars that came equipped with the Cleaner Air Package, part number 2863203. This was confirmed by my parts encyclopedia friend so I have no reason to doubt it. He said mine is the only one of either he has been able to document in person so these are pretty rare parts.

I personally do not have any info or pictures on that '203' part and whether it differs in any way from the '202' fan being discussed here. C.A.P. cars had slightly different tuning specs than non-emissions cars so perhaps there was some particular design element of it that enabled it to do its job in the same way as the other fan under those distinct circumstances. That's just a guess on my part though since Chrysler claimed in their '67 C.A.P. introduction literature from there was no difference in performance between C.A.P. and non-C.A.P. cars.

Additionally, as I mentioned earlier, there is a particular spacer used with the 202 fan, part number 1851960. Again, I believe it to be .7" depth. Since there is more room in a 383 B body than an A, it would make sense a shallower spacer would be needed or the fan would be in the radiator. My buddy said that spacer was not listed in his '67 parts book but he did find it in his 1968 manual. The curious thing is that in 1968 that spacer was used on 383-equipped cars with the more common "224" solid fan. Head hurt yet?

Last two points; the 202 fan is singularly unique because of the shape of the blades. Chrysler made a few different 18" diameter, 7 blade, 2" pitch solid fans but none had the same blade shape as that one. The other thing my friend pointed out to me is that the rivets holding the blades to the center section on the 202 fan are flat as opposed to the more rounded ones found on the 224 fan. I'm not even going to attempt speculating on why that is!

Hope that helps anyone looking for info on these particular fans.

-Greg

Different vendors made them a little different, all would be correct. This is true with many parts on our cars.

-
Back