Do you know?

-

Moose

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, as some of you may know Im a student of Conservation Law Enforcement 8). And well we got asked today in class to ask people if they know what a Conservation Officer is and does and we are suppost to put the numbers together for class. So I figured I would ask you guys. So do you? If you think so just throw down your answer.
Thanks
Anthony

Fancy name for a game warden, right?

Well yea basicly. We get alot a neat nick name. Possum Patrol, Fish Police, Fish Sheriff.....etc

To answer your question, I do as a matter of fact.
Where are you going to school at? My son is attending a school doing the same thing and I am curious if it isn't the same school.

This ones for you Moose
This is a test
Sure do know what they do.....or are suppose to do should i say. I haven't always been what we'll call legal but i do benefit from game taken from the land. I Believe.....a conservation agent should be able to use logic in the ability to carry out his duties in a manner that would reflect compassion and honesty. Granted this will take an individual that will more than likely go against the grain of the powers that be. For instance.....You are on a patrol....at night...and you catch a so called poacher. He's got a deer in the back of his old wore out pickup. This deer looks to have been shot square between the eyes with a...let's say a .22 Mag. You find a "One Eyed Dog" in the seat along with the gun. The only gun the guy owns. Upon investigating into the matter you find he lives down by the creek where his sewage runs into and the kids are cuddled up in the corner of the house where very little fire is available and the cracks in the walls are evident for lettin in the cold winter fresh air. The pot on the old wood stove hasn't been hot in so long the lard in it is almost petrified. The guy informs ya that he's trying desperatly to feed his thee little girls but due to the situation of the current administration he's been laid off for 13 months and his unemployment has ran out and no government organization has stepped up to the plate to help with this real matter. The local church has responded with what they had in their food kitchen but that was two weeks ago and he dont feel like begging for more. He explains in a compasionate manner that his girls need something to eat....BAD....Do ya do your job and write him a $200 poaching ticket and let the white collar judge hammer him with a fine and possibly a sentence that will drive him into further desperation or do you hand him $20 and tell him to go by him some flour, grease and salt for the girls a good meal?
Now we're gettin down to the nut cuttin. What's your answer? This is a PASS or FAIL situation.
I'll await your answer then i will tell ya the way you should approach this situation. IMO.
Small Block

Well I do know one thing about the Wildlife Commission in Georgia. Lots of people are not aware of this but they have more power and more jurisdiction than any other branch of law enforcement in the state. I remember workin for the Ford dealer in Forsyth years ago. We had a Fish and Game officer's car in for service. She was takin a stroll around the service dept outside and found a dead Ruby Throated Hummingbird......then another and another and another........she called it in and in less than 15 minutes there were more Game wardens around there than I ever saw. We were shut down because the source was a leaking antifreeze storage drum behind the shop. It was leaking right into a storm drain going right into a stream behind the shop. Course.....Forsyth has literally SEVEN branches of law enforcement there. It's the training hub for the southeast. You do NOT wanna mess up in Forsyth. LOL

To answer your question, I do as a matter of fact.
Where are you going to school at? My son is attending a school doing the same thing and I am curious if it isn't the same school.

I might know your son then, I go to school in Vincennes Indiana. I love everyday

This ones for you Moose
This is a test
Sure do know what they do.....or are suppose to do should i say. I haven't always been what we'll call legal but i do benefit from game taken from the land. I Believe.....a conservation agent should be able to use logic in the ability to carry out his duties in a manner that would reflect compassion and honesty. Granted this will take an individual that will more than likely go against the grain of the powers that be. For instance.....You are on a patrol....at night...and you catch a so called poacher. He's got a deer in the back of his old wore out pickup. This deer looks to have been shot square between the eyes with a...let's say a .22 Mag. You find a "One Eyed Dog" in the seat along with the gun. The only gun the guy owns. Upon investigating into the matter you find he lives down by the creek where his sewage runs into and the kids are cuddled up in the corner of the house where very little fire is available and the cracks in the walls are evident for lettin in the cold winter fresh air. The pot on the old wood stove hasn't been hot in so long the lard in it is almost petrified. The guy informs ya that he's trying desperatly to feed his thee little girls but due to the situation of the current administration he's been laid off for 13 months and his unemployment has ran out and no government organization has stepped up to the plate to help with this real matter. The local church has responded with what they had in their food kitchen but that was two weeks ago and he dont feel like begging for more. He explains in a compasionate manner that his girls need something to eat....BAD....Do ya do your job and write him a $200 poaching ticket and let the white collar judge hammer him with a fine and possibly a sentence that will drive him into further desperation or do you hand him $20 and tell him to go by him some flour, grease and salt for the girls a good meal?
Now we're gettin down to the nut cuttin. What's your answer? This is a PASS or FAIL situation.
I'll await your answer then i will tell ya the way you should approach this situation. IMO.
Small Block

Ok so I heard of this account and the ruling from my some of my teachers is he is guilty and there no way around this but what I WOULD DO. This is my opinion and I could get in alot of trouble for this but if what he said is he wouldnt mind me doing alittle scoping if its to late at night then I will write the citation and then hold onto it and say if I found out your lying then I turn it in but if your telling the truth I rip it up. I would call the church and as about if he takin any of the food there and see if was layed off and if he does have children. And if all checks out I well go find him and tell him to forget about the ticket and give a permit for the deer. Maybe that doesnt seem the right answer to you but to me it seems right and fair. One of the reason I want to be a C.O. so badly is when I was alittle kid my dad took me to his friends house he was a C.O. and while we were sitting there A man drove up in a old ford truck and he got out and asked Tom (the C.O.) if he could have a road kill permit and Tom ask " How far were you off the road when you hit this one?" and the man replied "Only a little way". I was later told the man lost his job and not having much of an education and couldnt get a job, he had 3 children and a wife to feed. He would kill a deer a week to feed his family and Tom would write him a permit everytime. Sorry for the long respones.

To answer your question Moose, I'm familiar with what a conservation officer is and the duties they perform. I understand they operate a fine program for training conservation officers in Prince George BC.

Moose.....It's a pleasure to know ya. You have passed with flying colors. I personally feel that one should carry out his assigned duties with honesty and among most....compassion. You're an asset to the human race. Compassion may be the reason i'm not a rich man....but i'm a wealthy man.
Small Block

A conservation officer is a guy who couldn't pass the test to be a professional firefighter! Either that or he checked the wrong box. I'm teasing...

Good luck in your career, you sound like a stand up guy.

Sad thing is there are real people in the situation Smallblock refers too. Good luck with your chosen career. Gotta respect a man that will go in the woods after an armed man to write a ticket That job takes stones.Just like a fireman running in a fire while everyone else is running out.Good luck and be safe.DD

Small Block: Thanks for the complaments but its whats right no matter what someone tells me.
gts340: And a firefighter is cop that cant shoot haha just playing thanks, I take it your a firefighter? Im in the gettin ready to take a class on wildland fire so I can get a red card and have some training for wildfires, sounds oh so fun :cheers:.
DD: Thanks, most guys are honest tho and but there are crazy people :toothy10:

My uncle Robert was in Conservation Law Enforcement, I allways wanted to be one even if it was to take care of a park... He would get out and know the people around him and put food plots in and take me with him when I was a young man and you have to know some one up the ladder or there was no way I could been one :angry7:
Get to know the folks in your area, and there ways of life..... My uncle and his two son's and I would go out and fill tags for the old folks that could not go out and harvest there god given bounty of food, I am a volunteer for the Arkansas game and fish, but all I get to do is keep the nature center supplied with snakes and big bass or do some gardening and helped them get ready for a show's for the public
There job is to keep poachers from taking animals out of season and killing things that are on the endangered list, Make sure they are using the corect fire arm, Shooting out of a truck at a set up fake dear get's them everytime....:-D I have seen dear shot just for there antlers and don't even field dress them, It seems it was the rich farmers children doing this more then anyone ells.
Our bald Eagle in on the come back becouse we have Conservation Law Enforcement
The man feedig his children would get freash ammo and let him know I would be back with another deer or a stringer full of fish the next morning and see if I could get him a hard ship licenses becouse he was not out steeling or selling drugs to take care of his girls.... JMO.

It was a dream of mine to work with nature and be a AGAF Officer, But like I said it takes allot of schooling and an act of congress to get a job at it, or know some one in high places. I was with my uncle Robert when they build small wooded water controls back in the late 60 on black river, It's not hard to spot a $30k truck with 3 rich farmers out poaching or throwing trash out of there truck, Nothing mad my uncle madder then that...
There will never be another uncle Robert, he helped more people put food in there freezers and kept the children safe talking to them in the three schools close by about safety and the law that is put in place to keep them safe.
If I emember right our check out station "for Deer" gave 28 Deer to the home less shelters here.

There is more to being a Conservation Law Enforcement then carrying a gun and a badge. I have seen our new young gun Conservation Law Enforcement people help stamp out drugs and people growing or cooking that chit up.
I just rememberd one time robert seen three Deer crossing a flood land and he said he thinks there was 5 people that lost there guns and inpounded there truck, the deer was taken to the needy folks
I hunt in the brush and wish I could carry a 3030, But in my zone it is not allowed, But we can't have it all :-D

Moose
I was a CO in Ohio for 12 years. I think I was fair and as Small Block says JUDGEMENT Good or bad will make you. I quit over a simiular setup as Small Block discribes.
Frank

Moose
I was a CO in Ohio for 12 years. I think I was fair and as Small Block says JUDGEMENT Good or bad will make you. I quit over a simiular setup as Small Block discribes.
Frank

I hoped I would find someone who is or was a C.O. Im sorry to hear that you quit but Im sure you did what was right

Game Warden, Park Ranger and ocasional murder investigators (Anybody remember Vince Foster?) May be more of the last now that there is a Clinton back in the White House.

I generally spend about 60 days a year scouting and hunting each year in Utah, Idaho, Colorado and Wyoming. I guess that you could call me a trophy hunter, although this year I have had some very bad luck. I can tell you that a Conservation Officer has a very difficult job out here, because they are few and far between. They can't be everywhere and there are plenty of remote areas. It also takes balls to look for an armed hunter who is accused of poaching. Especially with the stiff fines and jail times now days. Most hunters that I know are ethical and want to do the right thing, but there are some that can't play by the rules and I avoid these guys like the plague. I always hunt within the laws of the state and respect the game and land that I am hunting.

My hat is off to you Moose. You sound like a stand up guy. I hope that you are one of the good ones out there. If there is one thing that pisses me off is some young hot shot fish cop that looks for any small infraction when they can write a ticket.

To me the role of a Conservation Officer is "protecting our natural resources for future generations".

-
Back