Do you paint your pressure plate housing?

-

jcmeyer5

Token Ford Guy
Reaction score
Our new clutch set came in last Friday. It is a RAM 88766 kit. It looks good, but the housing for the pressure plate is plain steel. I am kicking around if I should put some sort of paint on it to protect from rust. I've never replaced a clutch before, so I dont know how bad it may or may not rust.

Thoughts?

Pics? I don't think I have ever seen one raw metal. They are either plated or painted.

I dont have any at the moment, but I can get one. I suppose it is possibly plated, but it sure doesnt look like it.

I dont have any at the moment, but I can get one. I suppose it is possibly plated, but it sure doesnt look like it.
I looked it up. Yes it looks like raw metal. You don't want to take it apart to paint it. I would be real careful not to get any overspray on the clutch surface. You know what, Mine was raw steel as well and I didn't paint it. Next time I adjust my clutch I will have to see if it surface rusted. Probably so but not an issue.

clutch from Brewer.jpg

Eh... probably wont come back out for 10 years. Screw it, we going bareback!

You are actually safer leaving bare instead of risking surface contamination.
It would suck to have a brand new clutch chatter.
On that note, clean the disc and both surfaces with brake cleaner or...
I use lacquer thinner on those and brake parts because it's a heck of a grease cutter and dries practically before you could even pick up the part.

My Kevko oil pan evidently is zinc-plated, a good rust preventative measure but I understand difficult to paint over. My new Autozone Duralast calipers look to have the same zinc finish. I am not used to seeing new items prepared like this, but I understand it is as cheap as paint.

zinc plated.jpg

DSC07535.JPG

My Kevko oil pan evidently is zinc-plated, a good rust preventative measure but I understand difficult to paint over. My new Autozone Duralast calipers look to have the same zinc finish. I am not used to seeing new items prepared like this, but I understand it is as cheap as paint.

View attachment 1715538914

View attachment 1715538916
it is becoming more common for calipers to be cad plated, which is welcomed by me.
As for painting the pressure plate cover, I very seen them raw (unpainted) and painted. If you garage your car, I wouldn't be too concerned about it rusting up. If you park it outside, I would only mildly be concerned. I would agree with poster, who said not to attempt to take apart. It could be hazardous. It's all fun and games, until somebody loses an eye, or a finger, or maybe a tooth, hahaha. If you wanted to give a LITTLE paint, I don't see the harm, but I would not get carried away with solvents because you don't want to remove grease meant to lubricate key points.

-
Back