Dodge truck help

-

Dart_Doctor

Asa style
Reaction score
I was pondering I'm going to have to put a rear end in my truck sooner or later. What will I need to change the 5x5.5 bolt pattern to the bbp of earlier years. Mine is a 90 if that makes any difference idk. New to the full size trucks so I dont know every thing also will the hub caps on the green truck fit the big 5x5.5 ford wheels. My truck is the blue one I have steel wheels to fit it but my cop car caps are too small so I'm looking into other options.

129714310.jpg

FB_IMG_1600679833979.jpg

I think half-ton Dodges used the Chrysler 8-3/4" differential (EDIT: oops, maybe it was the Chrysler 9-1/4"); 3/4-tons used the Dana 60 and one-tons used the Dana 70.

I would recommend that you choose the diameter and type of tire you want to use, based on availability, price, etc., and only look for wheels of your chosen size after you have decided on tires. For example, 16.5" wheels were common on Dodges back then, but have since become somewhat obsolete with only a few models available, so you might want to avoid them.

I don't know about Ford vs. Dodge bolt patterns.

Last edited:
That green truck looks like a 1976 3/4 ton, if so it has an 8 lug dana 60 under it.
Ford wheels will fit on 1/2 ton Dodges, but you need to grind the center of the rims.

Why in the world would you want to change the bolt pattern? Best advice is leave it alone.

I was pondering I'm going to have to put a rear end in my truck sooner or later.
View attachment 1715599144

View attachment 1715599145
Why? Assuming it needs rebuilt it would be a whole lot less work to do that than tear two rear assembles out of two trucks? (or just one for that matter) and then reinstall? Read the factory service manual on how to rebuild the rear end, to rebuild is not as bad as many think it is. Again, assuming it needs rebuilding

My 1980 truck is 5 on 4.5 9 1/4

My 87 parts truck is 5 on 5 8 1/4

Ok will the 3 /4 caps fit thes wheels ? I was asking cuz yes the rear is going out I knew this when I got it. I have 2 rears laying around known to be good one is 5×5.5 the other is bbp. That's why I asked what I needed to change the front to bbp cuz I have a ton of wheels to fit it then lol if I keep it 5×5.5 then I only have 3 choices of wheels I already have I'm not trying to buy new wheels what I would buy the hub caps if they fit thes wheels

20200922_172038.jpg

Look up the wheel bearing sizes for the 5/5 pattern and the 4.5 pattern. If their the same u may just have to change the front rotors. Kim

I don't think the 3/4 ton bottle caps will fit on a 5 lug wheel. They are too big around if I remember right. Sounds like your best bet is to put the 5.5 bolt pattern rear end you have laying around in it. You could also weigh the cost of getting 2 new rotors for 5 x 4.5 BP against the cost of bearings and seals for the rear end that that lives under your truck now. If you just do the swap....lay the PB Blaster to the u bolts so you don't wring em off! :eek:

-
Back