does anyone know?

-

la2alle

Bad Fish 65
Reaction score
I have a 65 barracuda which i just bought anson sprint rims 15x7,i fit the rims on the front drums and they seem to fit fine.Now here is my question ,the lug studs seem to be to short so ive decide to, at this time just get new drums all the way around.How do i measure the drums so i order the right ones ,ive gone with a measuring tape and seems to be 10 inch drums but i would like to be sure.

thanks

I've been pretty busy of late, and haven't been able to visit the forum much - so you may have already solved this problem. But I feel the need to respond, as I had a similar dilemma recently.

I have one of the very, very early production 65 Cudas. I know this, as my dad ordered the car in late 64, and it arrived at the dealership around October (I think) of that year. I was only 11 at the time.

Plymouth was supposed to put 10" drums on all their V8 products for the 65 models, but mine slipped through with 9" front drums (probably because it was such an early production).

Anyway, the old 9-inchers were shot, so I bought some new ones (Bendix makes 'em - and you can find 'em at several on-line places)..... but I was also uncertain as to where you make the measurement.

As it turns out, you need to pull the drum off and measure the inside diameter & depth..... But that said, the size of your drums should be 10 x 2.25 - if they're original, that is. Check out the attached link for a complete "story"

http://www.autohobbydigest.com/a-brake.html

The problem is that new drums aren't gonna come with wheel studs, so you have to get them, too, and have them "installed" as well. I think the term is "spaged" or somthing similar.

If you dig into the following link a bit, you'll find some pretty good descriptions of Mopar wheel studs, and you may be able to find some that will work for your application.

http://www.jimsautoparts.com/

Hope some of this has been helpful.

The Ansen Sprint style wheels uses a lug nut that recesses into the wheel to engage the stud. Your studs being about flush with the wheel is correct for this type of wheel. You will need to purchase "mag" wheel style lug nuts and if your studs are the originals on the car you will need half left hand thread unless you convert to all right hand studs.

Chuck

And if you do change the drums...look for the size cast into the drum. It usually has a number that says, I.E. 10.06 MAX. That is the max. dia. you can turn it safely. That is the same for disc brakes, also.

In an earlier post, I suggested Jim's Auto Parts as a possible vendor for parts (specifically, wheel studs)...... What I'm reading (in the subsequent posted links) about Jim's Auto parts rings a little too true.

Prior to making my suggestion, I had ordered several minor items though Jims - without any issues. But I have since encountered a problem - and oddly enough - it involves wheel studs.

From Jim's website, I ordered one set of right-hand, and one set of left-hand wheel studs for 9" brake drums. I waited two or three weeks for them to arrive, and was dismayed to find that only the right-hand studs arrived, with no explanation regarding the left-handers. After waiting a week or two (hoping they were on backorder), and getting nothing, I called their customer service number. The customer service person was very nice, and informed me that the left-hand studs were out of production. She even placed a new order for me - for a second set of right-hand studs.

When they arrived (about three weeks later), they were different than the first set of "righties".... I called back, and the very nice customer service person apologized, and said that she'd send the order in again. After waiting another three weeks - and not receiving any studs - I said enough is enough.

I ordered two sets of right-hand studs from PartsAmerica. They only cost about 1/3 of what Jim's charges, they shipped in a day, and were received in less than a week. And they were the correct studs.......

I believe PartsAmerica is somehow affiliated with (or is perhaps part of) Advance Auto. Anyway, they seem to have a lot of parts for the older A Bodies.

-
Back