Dog dish hub caps

-

Wayne Miller

1962 Dodge Lancer Wagon
Reaction score
I have a set of Police rims from Summit Racing.
I would like to use Dog dish hub caps on these rims.
Problem: The hub caps keep popping off. Looks like the three lips on the rims are very small.
Anyone else have this problem or are these rims not meant to use these Hub Caps?
IMG_0135.JPG

I had the same issues with Wheel Vintique. I removed the powder coating from behind each of the nubbs with a small (3/16") ball tip die in a grinder.

I have a set of Police rims from Summit Racing.
I would like to use Dog dish hub caps on these rims.
Problem: The hub caps keep popping off. Looks like the three lips on the rims are very small.
Anyone else have this problem or are these rims not meant to use these Hub Caps?
View attachment 1715704422

They do look nice, I like them.

I have heard the stampings are getting worn and they are not making a great nub edge
for the cap to grab on to , some guys have used a small grinder to cut them back just a hair to make them work better.
Also Summit and Jegs both get their wheels from Wheel Vintiques.

Frank

I lost one also. Since they are $400 for a replacement set (only can buy four) I took them all off. One day I will find a show quality single cap for sale.

I lost one also. Since they are $400 for a replacement set (only can buy four) I took them all off. One day I will find a show quality single cap for sale.
My son bought wheels from Summit as well. Those wheels only have three nubs that holds the cap, which is not correct. He returned the wheels and found set of slotted steel police wheels that he used. Those wheels use four nubs. No issues with holding the dog dish on, and they look great!

Original cop car 15x7 steelies can be found for around 100 bucks a set, no issues retaining caps with them.

So the problem is likely the 'reproduction' part.

I have heard that the reproduction caps have the same issue, even with original wheels.

Original cop car 15x7 steelies can be found for around 100 bucks a set, no issues retaining caps with them.

So the problem is likely the 'reproduction' part.

I have heard that the reproduction caps have the same issue, even with original wheels.
Makes you wonder why they don't just reproduce them like the original? Isn't that what "reproduction" is all about?!

-
Back