dog dish/wheel size opinions please

-

aquapimp

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm hoping you guys can give your $.02 on my wheel and tire combo for my '69 Dart GT
backviewwithlilred.jpg
[/IMG]

I just ordered these dog dish hub caps, thought they would look nice on the car

http://www.beaparts.com/item_detail.aspx?id=661

Now for the questions:

I plan on using OEM style black steel wheels

1.) Do you think it would look goofy to run 15's in back and 14's up front? I would like a 'lil more "muscle stance" and like the wider range of tires available for 15" wheels.

2.) What size rear wheel width and tire size can the stock spring location, inner fender lip accommodate without rubbing problems?

3.) Can you recommend a source for the wheels? I'd love to find them already powdercoated black!

Thanks so much, guys!

Tom

Right now the car has 225/70/14 BF T/A's on what we believe are 14x6 rallye's, haven't measured the back space yet.

I'm running 235/60-15 on 15 x 7 cop car wheels on the Demon. Mine came off of a couple of cop cars/taxi cabs. Wheel Vintiques may sell them. These can use either a dog dish hub cap or the 70 - 71 Rallye wheel center.

@ 2darts: thanks for the reply! I actually found some steelies @ specialty wheel, and ordered the same size (235/60-15) BFG drag radials.

I'll post some pics as soon as they get here...

aqua...here's a couple pics and info for you. 1st is my old Dart. 14x5.5" up front w/ 205/70/14's and 15x7 rears w/ about 4.5" backspacing (custom built SBP) w/ 255/60/15's...

2nd is my current Scamp. 15x6 w/ 4" backspace and 205/65/15's and 15x7's w/ 4.5" backspace and 235/60/15 MT Drag Radials in the rear. Wheels are from Specialty Wheel. Just like your gettin'....

In my opinion the Dart looked just as good w/ the factory 14's in front as the Scamp does w/ 15's...

If I had to do it over again on the Scamp, I'd get less backspace on the fronts because they are a little too far tucked in for my taste...but so be it. The factory 14's on the Dart had just the right backspace in my opinion. Also, I liked the bigger 255/60's on the Dart better than the 235/60 MT's on the Scamp...but the MT's were on when I bought it so soon as I peel enough rubber off I'll replace 'em! Post pics of yours when you get 'em...

Can you tell I like the bodycolor steelie look w/ dog dish caps...? :)

Beatnik,

Those are absolutely beautiful cars. I love the body color wheels as well. On my Dart however, I wanted to bring some of the black from the roof and trim down to the wheels.

I rec'd the tires and caps already, now just waiting on the wheels.

I'm headin to my first car show (that I'm actually entering in) Sept 4th. Hope I can get them on the car before then!

Tom

Well....I waited....and waited and waited for mine about 4 weeks or better. Specialty was very nice on the phone, and the wheels are nice...but they were not very quick. Atleast they were a good 3 weeks longer than they orig. said they'd be...but they were building for a show too so you may be ok. Keep calling them and hounding them, it seemed to help. Again, they were very nice and prompt on the phone, it just took longer than expected.

I went back/forth on going black or body color on the Scamp wheels. Finally decided body color. I'm glad, because I may go w/ a flat black hood at some point and w/ the top I figured it'd be a little overkill w/ black wheels too. I can see it looking sweet either way though.

I painted the Dart's wheels black at first too...see pic, then just couldnt get used to it so I stripped 'em and had my buddy p-coat 'em Hemi Orange for me. If the Dart had a black vinyl top I may have left them black...

-
Back