Don't ignore leg cramps

-

jos51700

Green Bearing thread connoisseur
Reaction score
Reading about Pittsburghracers' passing, and some people saying he'd had leg cramps, I'd like to share what I've gone through and try to get some awareness on the issue.

Three weeks ago, I had a five hour train ride, lots of walking, and a five hour train ride. The next day, I had a "pulled muscle" in my left calf. That's exactly what it felt like. Mine, though, moved. Over a couple days, it slowly moved down my calf and in towards the center of my calf. I went to the podiatrist (due to other issues) and she blew it off since no swelling or redness.

Before I knew anything, I had several days off shortness of breath.

Two weekends ago I drove to Denver from KC, then back a few days ago, then a couple days later, I drove to Michigan. Funny, I pulled that calf again.

It hurt like a B!TCH and after laying in bed crying for three hours, I went to the ER. It's a blood clot. I'm now on blood thinners, and we'll be watching.

Here's the kicker: checking to see if it's a clot is ridiculous easy: you relax in bed and they check along your leg with ultrasound. It's a ten minute deal. It's not expensive.

I'll tell you, clots can generally feel like cramps. If you have cramps in your leg that you can't explain, won't quit after a few minutes, hurt REALLY bad, or move, get to an ER and get checked. Pulmonary embolisms can feel/react a lot like heart attacks, the warning sign is shortness of breath.

I didn't know Pittsburghracer like the rest of you, but I enjoyed his input through the years and I am going to use his passing is an opportunity to pass on one last bit of wisdom. Please, get yourselves checked if ANYTHING seems out of place.

Last edited:
In 2018, I had what I thought was just a sore knee from all the walking I did looking for downed power lines after a hurricane. I went and bought a Copper Fit knee brace and wore it for a few days. Knee quit hurting, but I had a cramp in my calf now. Long story short, it ended up being a DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis). I was on blood thinner for a month or so and haven't had another since. While I had the DVT, I also had a dry cough that came from my chest. The ER Doc said that your body will naturally try to break up a clot. Veins feed the lungs, so any small clot pieces that the body breaks up go to your lungs and the lungs sense a foreign object and trigger a slight cough to try to make it exit the lung. Clots in veins go to your lungs. Clots in arteries go through your heart or brain and usually cause instant lights out!

In 2018, I had what I thought was just a sore knee from all the walking I did looking for downed power lines after a hurricane. I went and bought a Copper Fit knee brace and wore it for a few days. Knee quit hurting, but I had a cramp in my calf now. Long story short, it ended up being a DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis). I was on blood thinner for a month or so and haven't had another since. While I had the DVT, I also had a dry cough that came from my chest. The ER Doc said that your body will naturally try to break up a clot. Veins feed the lungs, so any small clot pieces that the body breaks up go to your lungs and the lungs sense a foreign object and trigger a slight cough to try to make it exit the lung. Clots in veins go to your lungs. Clots in arteries go through your heart or brain and usually cause instant lights out!
Odd you say that.... I've had a dry cough since this started.
Maybe I'll call the pulmonary doc tomorrow

The clot was in a vein in my leg, like yours was, but the tiny pieces of it that my body was breaking loose were going to my lungs. My dry cough went away pretty quickly after they ran a bag of Heparin thru me in the hospital and I started taking blood thinner. The very nice Dr. in the ER explained it to me that the lungs will sense a tiny piece of clot and see it as a foreign object and trigger a cough to tell the foreign object to GTFO…lol. If your clot has been treated, the cough should go away soon. I wore compression socks on long car rides for a while. I’m back to normal now with no problems. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Here is my suggestion to all of our "older" members. After you hit the 60 plus mark, even if you feel great go see your primary care physician at least once a year. Have them give you a good once over, including a stress test. If you are having weight problems, get it under control as much as possible and keep it there. Some of us are more active than others and this can be a good thing. When the weather is nice, go for a long walk, or bike ride. Don't try to do the same things you did in your 20s, 30s, or 40s your body is slowing down whether you realize it or not. If you are having specialized problems, get a referral if needed and attend to that problem. In most cases, we are living longer than our parents and grandparents. If we don't take care of ourselves, we become a burden on our children. If this message offends anyone, I apologize. IT is just the bare bones fact of our lives.

A friend flew across the country, met his daughter and drove back. Several days in the driver's seat, he started talking jiberish to his daughter. They stopped at a hospital ER and found that he had a mild stroke due to leg blood clots that had reached his brain. Luckily no deficiencies......But he was only 55 at the time.

There’s many things that happen that happen to us that we should not put off getting looked at .Me for instance had problems breathing went on for months , finally got fed up with my doctor not figuring out the problem. Called advice nurse on phone she got me in touch with another doctor who ordered all these test one was a scope through nasal passage down throat. Unrelated to the breathing they found throat cancer just in time. Someone was looking over me cause they usually find those to late.

Another story couple years ago young girl went to my son’s school. She kept complaining of leg pains I think doctor said it was growing pains. It was cancer by the time they found out I spread all over her body. She didn’t make it, it was hard for everyone especially her parents who I think blame themselves for not looking into it deeper. With that, they adopted before her thinking they couldn’t have kids. They were blessed with her she was their only biological child . I definitely don’t put things off anymore I just get them looked at it doesn’t hurt.

Many times, it takes going to lot of "doctors" before you find the one that has to ability to order the correct tests to find your issue. Some just run up the tab. Just the way it is, sometimes.

-
Back