Door and truck stripping

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
OK so for the last few weeks I have been drying the floor boards both drive and passenger because when it rains my floor boards fill with water.What I think is the water is running down the rain guards on the windows and right in the door jam.I have also getting water in the trunk.I know the stripping there is dry rotted.Were can I get some door jam and truck weather stripping cheap like 35 dollars for all cheap.

waterhood004.jpg

waterhood005.jpg

waterhood006.jpg

Get someone to help you. Have them spray the front of the car with a garden hose while you are inside looking for the leak. Have a flashlight with you so that you can see. Doing this you will see if it is the door, wiper seals or windshield.
If it is the windshield you will have to repeat the tests to help locate the leak.
C

Never gonna find new ones for $35.00. Are you that is where it is leaking from?

Where's the cheapest I can get just door jam seals
I heard that Waggin used junkyard chevy S-10 rubber and it fit and worked, should be a bunch of em in the yards. I'm not near that point yet (already found some stuff at JC whitney for about 1.99 a foot.) so it's a toss-up which one to get. if you go JC whitney style the 3/4 fit's(my size on 66 dart) or measure the cross section of your year bulb style , it isn't stock but it does work.
here is a pic of the cross sections that they have
View attachment weather stripping picture.jpg
another section with vinyl trim
View attachment weather stripping picture 2.jpg

I've never seen water enter through that spot. Even if it gets under the aluminum sill plate, it can't flow in. There is a ridge under the high spot of the sill that prevents it. I've owned A-body beaters that had no door seal and they never leaked. Before spending money on new ones, did you actually verify that the water is not coming in the wiper seals or through the vent door areas?

Grant

I've never seen water enter through that spot. Even if it gets under the aluminum sill plate, it can't flow in. There is a ridge under the high spot of the sill that prevents it. I've owned A-body beaters that had no door seal and they never leaked. Before spending money on new ones, did you actually verify that the water is not coming in the wiper seals or through the vent door areas?

Grant

it coming through that spot that were is is wet

Another area it could be leaking is where the kick panel is. If there is a rust hole in the cowl area, the water will flow down into the area behind the kick panel and can flow out onto the floor. Also, if it is happening when you are driving it in the rain, the water can be splashing in from the front wheels if your fender splash shield is missing (pretty sure on your year they are plastic).

I'm just trying to save you from buying something that may not solve your problem. I would unscrew the kick panel, unscrew the sill plate, then use a hose from outside to ensure you've got it identified.

Grant

Looks like the right stuff for the doors, rails and trunk. I'm still hesitant to think it's the door seals that are the problem though. The seals on the door are more for keeping wind noise out of the cabin than water. It looks to me like a windshield or more likely, the wiper seals as stated above.....but if you have ruled out those possibilities, I guess these are the next best possibility. Good luck!

1973dusterkid,

I don't follow what you found. Not sure what "silver thing" and "the spot" mean. It would help if you spelled correctly: "trunk", "jamb", "where", "weatherstrip".

I agree that the door rubber is mainly to keep out wind, not dripping water. Of course, with no rubber at all, water drops could blow in with the wind. If the "silver thing" is the door switch in your photo, instead of the "sill plate" others assumed, it should be easy to remove and add an O-ring or caulk to seal. It is supposed to be "inside the rubber" and part of the passenger compartment if you had any rubber.

I don't see how a leak under the sill plate could explain the wet spot on your carpet. Others say water can't flow under the plate, though who knows what rust-thrus you might have. I also suspect the wiper pivot seal. Beside the above link, you can buy on ebay. I think Detroit Muscle makes all the seal kits. I recently changed mine while the dash was empty, which made it easy.

Re door and trunk rubber, there are many alternatives that can be made to work, and we may all try that when custom parts aren't available. However, rubber isn't cheap for any car, unless you strip one at the junkyard. It might look cheap at $2/ft, until you start adding up your feet. The trunk weatherstrip is usually <$20 on ebay, at least for my 65 Dart, and it is fairly generic for many cars.

I pen pointed were it is leaking from I sat in the car while it was raining

The water is dripping from here were is it coming from water is dripping from in front and behind the fuse box

waterhood006-1-2.jpg

A few places to check for water infiltration:

I suspect that the cowl is full of dead leaves and this crap has plugged its drain. Open hood, look at side of cowl behind hood hinge for a drain hole about the size of one&#8217;s finger, and a wrinkle at the seam just below the hole. Also you can remove the driver&#8217;s side vertical fresh air box for ease of cleaning the cowl. Same for passenger&#8217;s side, except air vent is integral with heater box, and is a PIA to remove.

Also wiper shaft seals are most likely contributing to the flood, and possibly a rusted out windshield channel in the bottom corner.

You will need to get a friend to play a hose on the windshield area while you examine the under dash area for water.

Once you find & repair the leak, you will need to remove the seats, and pull the carpet out to dry it completely, and replace the padding. This will keep mold and musty odors (think stinking swamp smell) from developing, and floor rusting out.

Good luck

I found were the water is coming in at. Its coming through the outside of the chrome trim on the front windshield,there are little cracks in hole in the metal of the car.You can see the air bubbles when you pour water on it.

waterhood004-1.jpg

-
Back