Door glass and wing window removal

-

Longroof66

Reaction score
20210410_143635.jpg
20210410_141808.jpg
Trying to remove door glass and wing window assembly. I have removed the three screws at the front of the wing window. It now appears as if I need to remove the bolt anchoring the forward vertical door glass Channel to the door. I'm assuming the door glass needs to come out in order to finish removing the wing assy. Correct? Also I'm assuming the window felts can't be removed with the glass still in the door. Also, am I going to regret taking this stuff apart?

Yes yes and yes:rolleyes:

You MIGHT be able to disconnect the door glass and lower it into the door cavity, to allow the vent frame to be removed.

I recently replaced my convert glass, I found that removing the door glass was streight forward, the vent came out easy enough, window regulator easy.

Putting everything back easy, getting it adjusted, HARD!

The felts (wiskers) can be removed with glass in, lower the down stop a lot, to gain access.

Get the factory service manual there are procedures there

Yes yes and yes:rolleyes:

You MIGHT be able to disconnect the door glass and lower it into the door cavity, to allow the vent frame to be removed.

I recently replaced my convert glass, I found that removing the door glass was streight forward, the vent came out easy enough, window regulator easy.

Putting everything back easy, getting it adjusted, HARD!

The felts (wiskers) can be removed with glass in, lower the down stop a lot, to gain access.

Get the factory service manual there are procedures there
Thanks, that clears some things up. May sound silly but where can I order the factory service manual? I'm kinda new at this..... Is the little plastic pinch clip going through the glass at bottom right the only thing holding it in the bottom chanel?

Thanks, that clears some things up. May sound silly but where can I order the factory service manual? I'm kinda new at this..... Is the little plastic pinch clip going through the glass at bottom right the only thing holding it in the bottom chanel?

They show up on eBay a lot and sometime for a fair price

Nothing beats having a paper manual
I downloaded one and printed out all the sections I needed as I needed them. I have just about the entire thing in a binder now. I’d like to get an original one to throw in the car when I finish it though

View attachment 1715721327 View attachment 1715721328 Trying to remove door glass and wing window assembly. I have removed the three screws at the front of the wing window. It now appears as if I need to remove the bolt anchoring the forward vertical door glass Channel to the door. I'm assuming the door glass needs to come out in order to finish removing the wing assy. Correct? Also I'm assuming the window felts can't be removed with the glass still in the door. Also, am I going to regret taking this stuff apart?

I just did this on my 63 Dart 2dr sedan. Not sure if yours is the same but here's how mine went.

I had similar issues getting the vent glass out. With the glass lowered I still couldn't maneuver the vent enough to get it to the proper spot to lift out (the glass was blocking removal). Also couldn't get the glass off the regulator to pull it out with the vent glass in place. I wound up unbolting the regulator and sliding it off the glass so I could remove the glass. Then I was able to remove the vent glass. I tried following the service manual but it didn't seem to work out for me. Mind you the manual didn't have the 2dr sedan listed. Maybe that made a difference. The coupe is way easier as the door frame doesn't block removal of the glass or vent assembly.

Also yes the window felts can be removed with the glass in. I didn't even have to lower the stops to get them out. Just have to take your time.

Only down side of the way I removed my glass as stated before is getting the glass adjusted properly after reinstalling the regulator, but I think it will be easier with a sedan as the frame around the glass should make adjustment easier. I also wanted to do a full removal as I'm doing a full color change on my car and this makes it easier. You don't have to keep opening and closing the door to adjust and try to line up with another piece of glass. Just get it to fit right in the frame.

-
Back