Doug’s D453 headers install.

-

Moparmadness408

Reaction score
I have a 1967 Plymouth Valiant and I put a 408 stroker engine with edelbrock aluminum heads and am curious how I can get the left rear header to clear the column shifter on the steering shaft and the torsion bar without having to remove them. I tried using a punch and hammer but could never hit the right spot to bend it because the column shifter and torsion bars were right in the way. I can’t apply heat to where it hits the shifter because it’s partially plastic. I took a 4 foot pry bar and the handle off my jack, and pushed off of the collector untill it hit the transmission. It mostly sprung back, and it only took care of one of the two tubes hitting the torsion bar, and the one end tube is still hitting shifter at the steering column. I don’t want to pull these headers back out. I was wondering what you guys did for this install or if you even experienced the same issues.

I had manual steering and cast heads, but mine fit like a glove. Not one ding needed. I'd check how the engine is sitting in the car. Maybe a slight difference in mounts?

Circle the offending areas with a Sharpie. Then, I'm afraid to say, remove the header. Big pry bars can crush tubes. You'll be able to do a neater and more precise job with it out of the car. Heat the circled area and ding it with a ball peen. In the car, you can't get a clean shot at anything and you run the risk of accidentally messing something else up and REALLY getting mad at yourself. My free advice (which is worth exactly what you paid for it): Just bite the bullet & pull the header. ("Mr. Positive" here: it probably won't be the only time you have to take things back apart. Been there many times!). Good luck and hang tough!

-
Back