Drive motor on Mastercraft MIG welder stopped working.

-
Thanks Rob, it was either that or buy a new one, considering this machine had only ran like 10' of wire, this WAS like new till the board popped. A new one wasnt in the budget lol. Practice my welding and finally use some gas. Helps my motivation level too.
Heck yeah man! Glad to see you got it goin and it didn't break the bank. That's always a plus.

Get yourself a pack of these. It'll keep the dust and crud that settles on the wire spool from getting into the liner. So your drive motor doesn't have to work harder.
Did you notice how much tighter the LCAs were with the plates welded on. I recommend them every time

I never had the 69 on the road so not sure of the "difference". But I'm sure it'll be substantial. I gotta do the same on our 67 as well.
Pack of?? No link/pic
Thanks
Get yourself a pack of these. It'll keep the dust and crud that settles on the wire spool from getting into the liner. So your drive motor doesn't have to work harder.
Did you notice how much tighter the LCAs were with the plates welded on. I recommend them every time

My bad

image.jpeg

I have used a chunk of scotch brite and a binder clip for years. learned it at the last place I worked, the flux core welders swore by it.

Yeah I'm having troubles tracking the "weld-aid" stuff down up here in Canuckistan. I may just do the scotch brite!
I have used a chunk of scotch brite and a binder clip for years. learned it at the last place I worked, the flux core welders swore by it.

The "board" in Steve's welder is a real oddball

There is a 24V control transformer that powers part of it. This allows some functions. The motor speed control circuits and motor are actually powered by the main welder output---the same power that feeds the gun/ the weld

So with the welder powered on, the 24V transformer goes to a bridge rectifier on the board and provides control voltage. When you pull the trigger, the larger relay feeds 120V AC to the big main transformer, which comes alive, goes to the main welder rectifier, and provides unfiltered DC to the welding gun AND BACK TO THE BOARD to the speed control, then back out to the feed motor.

One problem with trying to decipher these things is that there seems to be a "number" of variations likely made by several/ many small manufacturers in "whatever third world" these come from. I did finally find a diagram "in Russian."

And of course I did not have the rest of the welder to troubleshoot it as a unit.

Would you be able to explain what was wrong with the welder that caused the issue and how you fixed it?

I'm not sure. Turns out (I think) Steve blew up one diode and I replaced one or two plus the small bridge rectifier for the control circuits.

Hey guys just wanted to update anyone who is using one of these mastercraft welders i had one **** the bed on me and bought another one brand new, from my inexperience i was tightening the wire roll too much and it burned out the drive motor. Hope this saves someones machine.
Weld on

So with some time off I stocked up on beer for me and vodka for the females and figured I would get back to trying my hand at mig welding. A while back I got a bottle of Argon mix gas with new regulator. Got all set up, switched leads inside as per instructions. Literally got 5-10 seconds of welding and motor stops driving the .023" wire. I had also swapped the drive wheel to fit the wire. Everything hooked up properly as best I could tell. I even followed the instructions.
Now the drive motor doesnt work?? Pull the trigger and all I get is a click. No movement. Pull the die for the wire off the motor shaft, still nothing. I think the drive motor is kaput.
I can ( and will) call Canadian Tire tomorrow as that's where Dad bought it for me. Sucks as it would weld with fluxcore wire, but I'm a newbie welder for the most part. Not even 1lb of fluxcore thru it and now motor just clicks.
Just get all setup and I got to amend **** for 10 seconds lol.
Thanks

View attachment 1715491119

View attachment 1715491122

View attachment 1715491123

View attachment 1715491124
I have the exact welder. I bought a new drive motor, wasn't the problem. Tested everything. Right when I was about to chuck this damn thing in the garb. I noticed last sec.....right behind the wire speed dial....the plastic plate right on the back was unsnapped! Problem fixed!!

Last edited:
Where did u get drive motor? The wire die with mine is only for .023 and .035 wire. I would like another die as well for .030.
Another shout out to @67Dart273 for fixing my board! :thumbsup:.
Yes that little plastic cup that holds the die can be a little tricky. Glad you got it figured out!
I have the exact welder. I bought a new drive motor. Tested everything. Right when I was about to chuck this damn thing in the garb. I noticed last sec.....right behind the wire speed dial....the plastic plate right on the back was unsnapped! Problem fixed!!

-
Back