drive shaft freeplay lenght fit

-

djwhog

Reaction score
OK I have a new drive shaft kit I purchased years ago with the larger u-joint support. I need to take the shaft to the machine shop for it to be cut to size and balanced.

My question is this. When I pulled out the old drive shaft after taking the straps off the diff. when you push it up into the tranny, mine I know is to tight. I can barely get the ujoint to clear the diff yoke. So how much clearance should I see when the drive shaft is pushed fully into the trans from the diff view?

My feeling now is that I can get the drive shaft out without prying but I think it needs at least another 1/2-3/4 s of an inch for travel?

What should it be?

thanks.

It could also be a tight fit with the weight on the axle. I talked to a shop and they said 3/4-1" of fore and aft movement is required. I had 5/8 and they said I would probably be ok but was cutting it close.

I currently have the same problem. I have to push in the the rear seal of the tranny to get the rear u-joint into the rear cups. I too am looking to get a new driveshaft. This is the only thing stoping me from going to the track, I'm afraid with slicks on the launch it will just slam the front u-joint into the tail shaft of the tranny.

Well it sounds like I should make the new shaft about 1/2 shorter. I am think at times that the shaft could be bottoming out on the trans going over bumps and such.

thanks guys!

I would measure between the yokes center to center, just to get an exact measurement. You want 3/4 - 1 " of free play.

-
Back