Driveshaft length

-

340 Dart

I don't know ****.
Reaction score
I am going to do a weekend engine/tranny/rear swap on my Duster and I wanted to get a driveshaft pre cut so it is only down the weekend. ( I drive it to work)

What is in it: 318/904 and 8 1/4.
What is going in it: 340/727 and 8 3/4

Does anyone have a Duster with a 727/8 3/4? I need the to know how long it is from the center of the u-joint to center of the u-joint.

Will the tranny support and everything else from the 71 dart fit in the duster?

Anyone forsee any problems with this going smoothley?

Due to murphy's law, I would not cut a driveshaft until the engine and trans were in the car and a measurement was taken. I understand the time constraint, but it sucks to have to pay to do something over again.

busted knuckles said:
Due to murphy's law, I would not cut a driveshaft until the engine and trans were in the car and a measurement was taken. I understand the time constraint, but it sucks to have to pay to do something over again.

I agree 100%.

The difference of the two rear ends is .66 and the difference of the two trannys is 4.01" so if you add the two your driveline from center to center of u-joint should be 4.67" shorter than what you have now. But like the other guys I would be very leary of shortening it before the swap.

These measurements I quoted are right from the Mopar Chassis manual so if it is not right don't shoot the messenger.

One other thing to consider your Duster has a 108" wheel base while Darts (except Dart Sports) have 111" so if someone quotes you a length make sure it is a Duster type 108" wheel base car.

Chuck

Thanks guys.

From the reactions here and on another board, it looks like I will wait till the swap and measure it myself just in case there is some kind of variation.

Looks like I will be putting street tires on the Dart and taking it to work for a few days when I do this.

OH THE AGONY!!:lol:

-
Back