Driveshaft length

-

edbux

Reaction score
Need some info on the length of the driveshaft for my 67 Dart. Currently it has
a 360 bolted in with the Schumacher kit, 727 auto and an 8 3/4" rear end.
Originally it was a slant 6, 904 and 7 1/4" combo.

The Dodge factory service manual says 52 and some odd inches, but I don't
think I'm measuring correctly. I get 49 3/4" from center to center of the
ujoint caps and I'm about a half inch long. That is with the yoke all the way into the trans.

Thanks for any help.

[email protected]

I think you measure with the yoke all the way in and subtract 3/4"
It might be more. To tired right now to remember what the exact amount to sutract is.

If you measure from the end of the tranny output shaft to the center line of the u-joint cap on the rear end with the car's weight supported by the axle and give that number to the drive shaft shop they can figure out what you need.

Going from a 7.25 to an 8.75 requires a drive shaft that is shorter by about 2" and going from a 904 to a 727 requires another 3" or so shorter. When I did my swapping I just told the drive shaft shop to shorten the drive shaft by x inches.

Thanks for the info. By measuring, I thought I needed to lop off 2'. I just wanted to mke sure before I plunk down a couple hundred bucks,

edbux said:
Thanks for the info. By measuring, I thought I needed to lop off 2'. I just wanted to mke sure before I plunk down a couple hundred bucks,

$200?? I hope that's for a new drive shaft. I have had my drive shaft shortened and balanced twice (going to a long tailshaft 4spd tranny, then swapping in an 8.25 rear end). It cost me $75 the first time and that included two new spicer u-joints and it was $55 the second time because I used the same u-joints.

-
Back