driveshaft problems

-

73scamper

Reaction score
i have a 1973 plymouth scamp and i switched the rear-end out with one off a 1975 dodge dart swinger its the same rear-end but with bigger brake bolt pattern but when the driveshaft was re-installed there is about 2 1/2 inch space where the driveshaft hooks up to the transmission. the rear-end is the same measurement as the original one. please help... thanks in advance

Bolt pattern and difference in the neighborhood of over 2 inches sounds like you swapped a 8.75 for a 7.25. But the model years don't make sense.

yes i set the centering pins in the middle hole on the diff. and its the original driveshaft. i have the car jacked up on jack stands on the body not the rear end could that be the problem? it didnt stick out when i first jacked it up before the swap??? im confused could i move the diff. forward on the pins? or would that ofset the way it rides? both rearends are the 9-bolt pattern

ok i found the problem the spring perches on the old rearend are 1/2" longer than the ones on the newer one. and when i jacked the car down the the driveshaft moved 1'' foward. so what should i do. i plan on taking the spring perches off the old one and welding them back on the new one that should solve my problem?? any thoughts would be great and thanks again.

-
Back