Driveway Cam Swap 273 Commando, pics and video

-

trebor75

Reaction score
With help from this forum I prepared to swap out the hydraulic cam the previous owner had put in my 1965 273 commando. I thought I might share some photos from installing and a video from breaking it in.

I wanted to go back to mechanical and put something wilder in there at the same time. This 1970 Duster was a slant six car when I bought it with a 7.25 rear. It's my first project ever. This is the combo right now

273 Commando - 1965
Cam: Comp Cams Magnum 282S - 282/282 Lift 495/495 - Beehive springs
Edelbrock D4B intake / Edelbrock 600 Performer Carb
Pertronix Ignitor & Flame Thrower coil
Hooker Headers
2.5" Dual Exhaust / Super 44 Flowmaster
8 3/4 - 3.55 - SureGrip
727 auto / Shift Kit
10" 4000 stall TCI converter
B&M Quicksilver Shifter

My back is sore from doing this with engine in car. The worst part was swapping the springs without removing the heads.

I am very pleased with how this turned out. It's a big improvement in every department. More bottom end, better response, way more midrange and rpm. The converter works really good with this setup compared to previous. It was expensive, I live in Sweden so all the parts has to be shipped, I got sun burned, my back aches. But I got great help from my friend and it was a lot of fun too :)

Video (the smoke is me smoking a cigarette behind the camera to calm my nerves) [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVShmDJt4oI&feature=youtu.be"]Driveway Cam Swap - Plymouth Duster 273 Commando - YouTube[/ame]

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 481
  • 2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,150
  • 3.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 469
  • 4.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 467
More pics

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 489
  • 6.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 487
The 282S is a whopper john for a 273. I bet it sounds nasty at idle. Lets hear it.

Very cool! Dad n I did the same in his 67 cuda, except stock 4bbl intake and 268S(I think)
Nice runner in the laneway too!!

x3 Quite a few vid's of stock 273's here but no big cam motors.

Nice job, keep that cam rolling :cheers: like everyone lets hear it idle when you can :colors: congratulations, my neck and back is hurting just seeing all the time bent over the grill and fenders you had to do :colors:

Thanks for your comments! I made a little video of it idling. Wish I did it outside instead of the garage, the sound kinda rumbles around in there. Anyway, here it is. I had been driving for a while so it's not a cold start: [ame]http://youtu.be/CddNRrrOFWs[/ame]

Sounds much more tame than I thought. Still sounds real nice.

It's very "streetable". It's kinda cool how the converter reacted to this swap. It used to slip way more before, and now it even wants to pull at idle. I've driven it for a couple of days now and took it up to 6000 rpm and it still pulled, before it would flat out at 5400 rpm. I have not dared to pass 6000 rpm just yet.

I'm sure it will pull well past 6K with the short stroke and the solid cam. It's gonna be a fun ride. Well......more fun. lol

Sounds like a good cam selection to me, it sure revs fast and has a nice even lope to it.
A smart cam selection in my opinion =D> Well dun Trebor :thumleft:

Yeah, it's not that big of a thumper. I don't think it's important, I'm very happy with the performance though :)

-
Back