Dual Exhaust for 360 in '67 Dart

-

Abodysrule

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been covered, if so somebody point me to the right thread(s).

I'm planning a 360 magnum install into my '67 Dart. The engine will have 350 ish hp and I plan to run headers and dual exhaust. I was considering TTi 1 5/8" shorty headers with 2 1/2" collectors and their off the shelf dual exhaust system. I understand my column shift may require some of their shift linkage components to clear. I do not have the firm feel fast ratio pitman and idler arm, mine is OEM, but I do have the bearing sector kit bolted on the K frame and Borgeson steering box. I have a '73-76 spool style style K-frame for the current SL6 and I have the Schumacher motor mount adapters for the 360. I will be running an A904. I have the factory torsion bar suspension.

What I'm looking for is any advice on header choice/pipe fitment etc. What is the best and/or easiest fitment? For example using the TTi system, other full system choices out there, better headers than TTi? Have a muffler shop build the pipes?

Another wrinkle, I'm old and I don't like loud pipes. My plan is to use quiet mufflers, perhaps narrow to 2" post muffler. Maybe resonators at the tail pipes to quiet it down a bit more. Shouldn't hurt the flow as the exhaust gases are much cooler by the time they leave the mufflers. Any thoughts there? Anyone recommend a quiet setup for duals?

Just curious if anyone wants to share their "do this" or "don't do that" experiences.

Thanks in advance for any input.

brian

Shorty headers throw away power everywhere.
The TTI system from header to tail pipe tip is being used on the wife’s ‘67 Cúda. Minor resonance at a low rpm which can be cure with a glass pack in front of it or a pressure way cancellation box or a J pipe to cancel sound waves.

We have the short Dynomax turbo mufflers. I’m not sure the longer ones can be used due to available area. Check a/TTI on that or someone here will chime in with that information.

Don’t bother on necking down the exhaust pipe after the muffler. It’s more of a PIA to get or have it done. Just stay with the 2-1/2 all the way. It’s easier and it’s not loud.

The most quite muffler I have ever used is a Dynomax/Walker stock replacement type. There’s a series called “Sound FX” that has a minor rumble, very minor. Modern trucks are louder.
Whoops, I also forgot they have a series called “Quite Flow” which it certainly was. Click below:
Walker Exhaust 21856 Walker Quiet-Flow 3 Mufflers | Summit Racing

Last edited:
68 Valiant 273 TTI shorty headers and full TTI 2 1/2'' exhaust Dynomax mufflers.
Look in the Articles section above "How To" for a full install.
I did many TTI long tube installs so I wanted to do shorties on this car.With a stock 273 I wasn't worried about less power as it was a daily driver. I have a sound video I will try to find.

IMG_2618.jpg

Mine was column shift. I bought the TTI kit but only used what I found that was needed to make it work.
Some of theirs some factory parts.

IMG_2626.jpg

IMG_2645.jpg

Not the best.Was a windy day.I had no idea what I was doing at the time.
Loud mostly at idle. I like your idea of resonators.Maybe the folks at TTI can help with that.
68' Valiant TTI Exhaust

Wow, great stuff, thank you everyone.

I think I'm using that Quiet Flow muffler on my slant 6 system now. I use Dutra Duals and have a custom made header down to single 2 1/2" collector. FYI, I had bad resonance/drone right under the driver seat. To fix that, I cut out a 3 ft straight section, welded a 3 ft SS perforated 2" O.D. tube inside it (using shims to center it in the bigger tube) and reinstalled. The resonance was gone! I've never used a box or J-tube, but will look into it. I like the internal resonator as it doesn't change the outer appearance of your exhaust system, and it's not bulky like a glass pack, no fitment issues. If I have resonance perhaps my internal resonator trick will work on the duals.

My slant is pretty quite at idle and really quiet when cruising. My slant exhaust actually sounds pretty good, on acceleration it sounds like a v8. But alas, although my slant runs really good, ~200 hp, I miss the extra juice of a v8. Looking forward to the 360 magnum project!

In the header bar on the right side there is an envelope symbol to the left of the bell symbol for replies to threads you posted in. That’s your mail box. Click it. PM’s (AKA - Private messages or “Conversations”) are held.

Your inbox is still full, can not private message you. I have Walker Quiet Flows on both of my cars with an H pipe. No drone. Didn't know that Dynomax made a Quiet Muffler, I took them off of my stock 318. The drone was terrible.

I have a slant in my truck using Clifford shorties into a Y, then through a single Walker quiet flow to the back bumper. All 2.5". I like it a lot, it has a nice tone while idling and is quiet on the road.

Your inbox is still full, can not private message you. I have Walker Quiet Flows on both of my cars with an H pipe. No drone. Didn't know that Dynomax made a Quiet Muffler, I took them off of my stock 318. The drone was terrible.
I think…. (OH BOY!) that Walker is the parent company….
I believe DynoMax operates on its own but Walker owns them.

-
Back