Dual Quad Carb question

-

BadAssDodge

Reaction score
Hey guys, just had a question for anyone familiar with factory Carter carbs and dual quad intakes. So I'm putting a factory iron dual quad intake on a 400 engine, and plan to put a 4 speed manual A833 trans. Factory carburetors were slightly different on automatics and manuals. Is it a big deal if I put on a carb made for an automatic (Carter 4327S). And since it's using two carbs, would it matter if the other carb is made for manuals? It would be Carter 4326S. I thought of having the manual trans carb as my primary and the automatic carb as the secondary. Both are 1967 440 carbs.

4326 C-4-AFB 67 440 A-134 M/T
4327 C-4-AFB 67 440 A-134 A/T

Last edited:
They had the same pri & sec jets, but different met rods. And they are three step rods, not two step.
4326 #541 rod 0.0605/0.058/0.053
4327 #164 rod 0.0625/0.060/0.053"

So the man trans carb has slightly richer cruise steps. Agree, would use the 4326 as the primary carb.

since this isn't some sort of "numbers matching" application, why not get a matched set of Edelbrock AFB or AVS carbs - they make sets for inline progressive dual quads.

since this isn't some sort of "numbers matching" application, why not get a matched set of Edelbrock AFB or AVS carbs - they make sets for inline progressive dual quads.
I have 2 Carter competition carbs but I want the carbs that look factory, I just prefer the factory look of the originals, and they have a smaller neck that will fit my hemi chrome dome air cleaner.

I wouldn't fret it much, you'll have to tune the carbs to your engine anyways.

Please continue to post about your set up as it comes together - more information is better :thumbsup:

-
Back