DURANGO vs EXPLORER

-

mikedevore

Reaction score
Has anybody seen the new Durango comercial (You-Tube) that shows the it hooked back to back with the new explorer.
It has a tug of war between the two.
It sure seems Dodge's ad adgency is taking no prisnors.

Yea I seen it. Thought it was cool but then the exployer just had brakes on, was not even a pulling contest.
But i think the Durango would have pulled it anyway.

Oh man, I shudder at the name Durango. We have them at the PD (2005 4.7 V8) and they're nothing but problems. Rusting oil pans, tons of engine and axle failures. Everything. ..and we just can't get any parts for them. And now Dodge is putting out a new generation? Oh lord! Let's hope something has been learned from recent failures.

Oh man, I shudder at the name Durango. We have them at the PD (2005 4.7 V8) and they're nothing but problems. Rusting oil pans, tons of engine and axle failures. Everything. ..and we just can't get any parts for them. And now Dodge is putting out a new generation? Oh lord! Let's hope something has been learned from recent failures.
nice

I used to drive nothing but chryslers. I have gotten tired of them "Chernobyl" -ing (shree-noble) after they hit 100 k miles. Now I drive GM everyday and restore only older Mopars. the GM's seem to be able to go 200 k + before everything starts to break. they also get better fuel economy. I have a 99 Grand Prix GTP with a supercharged 3.8 that is at 191 k miles and only a couple minor issues and 26 MPG. I have my dad's old 89 LeBaron with like 73 k miles on it that I am stripping because there is too much to fix. I would put more money into fixing it than it is worth. My ex wife's 95 Neon was junk after 73 k miles. Not to mention lost its value very quickly. By the time I paid off the car it was only worth 2500 - 3000 when it cost 15000 new... WTF??? My grandma has a 03 Grand Cherokee and the passenger window fell down out of its track. She gets it fixed for $400 and then the driver's side does the same thing two weeks later... This thing has less than 50 k on it. WTF??? I could go on with lots of detailed stories of my past experiences with them and their crappy quality, but do not have the time and do not want to make this thread too long... I tried to be loyal to them like my father, but they have let me down too many times. My father bought nothing but Chrysler since '48. Not anymore...

I also hear from some "insiders" that I know, that their quality is getting worse... Oh boy...

Didn't want a pissing contest on who had what that went a million miles on $20.00 & never a had a repair.
I've got as many successful Chrysler stories as the guys with fords & chebbies.
My point was, the way Dodge is going after their competitor's very strongly.
Another example, the new Ram HD vs Super Duty ford.
Yea , ford has a new diesel engine, but is it proven like the Cummins.
I like the way the Ram has all the heavy duty equipment backing it up to prove it's point about longevity & durability.
It helps remind the ford owners about the many designs of the previous failures.
It also reminds the ford owners of the diesel warranty claims that ford walked away from.
However, if you are going to go head to head , you better be able to back it up.

I bought a new "Rango" in 98,with 5.2 automatic,full power everything and 3:90 gears. Never got over 13 mpg but would go anywhere.We put 280 k on this thing before ANY major problems(tranny)I wish I still had it.

I used to drive nothing but chryslers. I have gotten tired of them "Chernobyl" -ing (shree-noble) after they hit 100 k miles. Now I drive GM everyday and restore only older Mopars. the GM's seem to be able to go 200 k + before everything starts to break. they also get better fuel economy. I have a 99 Grand Prix GTP with a supercharged 3.8 that is at 191 k miles and only a couple minor issues and 26 MPG. I have my dad's old 89 LeBaron with like 73 k miles on it that I am stripping because there is too much to fix. I would put more money into fixing it than it is worth. My ex wife's 95 Neon was junk after 73 k miles. Not to mention lost its value very quickly. By the time I paid off the car it was only worth 2500 - 3000 when it cost 15000 new... WTF??? My grandma has a 03 Grand Cherokee and the passenger window fell down out of its track. She gets it fixed for $400 and then the driver's side does the same thing two weeks later... This thing has less than 50 k on it. WTF??? I could go on with lots of detailed stories of my past experiences with them and their crappy quality, but do not have the time and do not want to make this thread too long... I tried to be loyal to them like my father, but they have let me down too many times. My father bought nothing but Chrysler since '48. Not anymore...

I also hear from some "insiders" that I know, that their quality is getting worse... Oh
boy..:wack:.
So you are saying that obama motors build quality is better than chrysler's???? Are f#$%ing kidding me! That's the funniest thing I have read in a really long time. I have been wrenching on cars for nearly twenty years. I have replaced more transmissions, rear axles, window regulators, fuel pumps, transfer cases in theses gm cars than I even care to remember. Both companies have their issues with quality, but to say that gm is any better, my ***.

Well, to bring this back around to the original intent...
I seen the commercial the other day, and like HemiPar noticed that the Explorer had it's brakes on.
I could do the same thing probably with my lawnmower, if my attaching point was above the explorers...
It is good to see them advertise with a "take no prisoners" attitude though.
C

Lol I dunno about chryslers grenading. My 00 Grand Caravan has well over 200 000 Km's and still runs perfect,shifts perfect and drives perfect. I have gotten a best of 35 mpg on the prairie highway with ac off and 31 mpg with ac on.

The 3.8 runs like a watch.

Most likely the pd vehicle is abused and not maintained acording to schedule,a certain death for ANY vehicle.

So you are saying that obama motors build quality is better than chrysler's???? Are f#$%ing kidding me! That's the funniest thing I have read in a really long time. I have been wrenching on cars for nearly twenty years. I have replaced more transmissions, rear axles, window regulators, fuel pumps, transfer cases in theses gm cars than I even care to remember. Both companies have their issues with quality, but to say that gm is any better, my ***.

I drive a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with a 318 magnum and a 3spd. It just turned 194K and still runs like a top.

Let's see...
Ford Explorer: has been around since 1991-2012, so it's going into it 21st year of uninterrupted production, and sales figures are still pretty good.
0 Recall years. : 0 recalls in 1991-1995, 0 recalls in 97-99, 0 recalls in 2001, o recalls in 2008-2010.
0 recalls 12 out of 20 years.
Recalled years: 1996, 2000, 2002-2007, 2011.

Dodge Durango: 1998-2012 Going into 14 years of production, interrupted after 2009 production year. Returned to production in 2011.
0 recall years: 2003 (only).
0 recalls 1 year out of 13.
Recalled years: 1998-2002, 2004-2009, 2011, (there was no 2010 model).

The Explorer seems to have an edge the Durango, both in reliability and longevity.

True about the recalls Frankie but how soon we forget the low tire incidents, those too are owner caused faults just not changing your oil. Seems the old explorers suffered quite a lot because of that.

True about the recalls Frankie but how soon we forget the low tire incidents, those too are owner caused faults just not changing your oil. Seems the old explorers suffered quite a lot because of that.

As I recall, the tire thing turned to be be just that, a tire thing, now an explorer thing. I think the fix for that was to change from Firestone to another brand of tire. Not really a vehicle issue.

-
Back