Duster Engine Swap

-

Cowboy

Surprisingly Not Banned
Reaction score
Well I'm at wits end with the "stall in every intersection" slant and "slip-o-matic" 904 in my '74 Duster; I'm looking for a good engine/transmission combination to replace it with. In all seriousness has anyone every thought of or tried to swap a built Chevy 350 coupled to a 4 speed (Muncie, Saginaw, Ford Srod) into one of these cars? A 318 would be good enough, but I would like something wild.

Welcome to FABO, Cowboy.
There has been some heated discussions on this subject here.
I guess you know by now that this is a Mopar a-body site, and everyone will roast you for such a suggestion.
I don't agree with transplanting chev engines into mopars or visa-versa.
I really don't see the advantage here at all, sure sbc parts might be cheaper initially, but the pain in the *** it would be with wiring, exhaust, mounts, etc. would far outweigh the initial cheapness of the engine if it is at all.
Mopar engines belong in Mopars, G.M. engines belong in G.M. vehicles, and Ford belongs in Ford.
Why would you really build a trans gendered car anyway?
There is no advantage to it at all.
Sell your Duster and buy a Chevy if you want a sbc powered vehicle so bad.
There is nothing wrong with the chevs, fords, and mopars, just choose the one you want to build.
My 2 cents.

Thank you for not throwin' me to the dogs. I'm trying to keep an open mind and out of all the engines I've worked on over the years, I've been the most impressed with their performance with the exception of one 304 Amc that was a real trooper. Granted it wouldn't be easy, but at the same time it wouldn't be completely impossible. With all the universal mounts, wiring harnesses, and various parts they have out now for those engines it might be worth a shot.

225 /6 engines, and 904 transmissions are proven to be awesome powertrains.

Yours needs some immediate attention, NOT a owner who is ready to quit and drop in some other manufacturers lower quality powertrain.

Check the oil on your engine.
Pull out the (6) spark plugs. Inspect them/replace them.
Remove and Install a New Fuel Filter
Replace the Distributor Cap and Rotor.
MAYBE Replace the wore out fuel pump.

AND PUT SOME MERCON DEXRON III Fluid in that transmission! The damage is probably already done.

Maybe pull the driveshaft and replace that leaky tail seal!!

BLASPHEMY!! I tell you!

Surprised you have not been assaulted yet. In all probability your problems will be somewhat resolved with just a bit of maintenance. Good luck with what ever avenue you chose....

IF dumping the /6 is what your going to do, then IMO, staying with a MoPar engine is what you should do for a few very good reasons.

Easy, cheap to get and a snap to install. For a V8 swap, you'll need to shorten the driveshaft, and get the swap mounts, which are a little pricey, but very good. A V8 radiator is recommended. I did the swap myself in a 74 duster from a /6 to 318. See here; http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=10508

As far as a cost perspective, Chevy guys pay the cheapest prices period. Everyone else pays more. Headers, heads, intakes are where we get beat. However, there design and operation is better than the Chevy engines.

IF the Chevy heads/valve train is so good, then why are the serious power makers/searchers switching there valve angles around to 15*'s from the 23* and adding a shaft for strength? MoPar gives it to you stock.

Ever notice the engine shoot outs the Mags have? Ever notice the smaller cubic inch engine wins every time?
Did ya notice it is a MoPar engine?
Look at the build specs. Make more power with less.
This applies to the big block or the small block.

IMO, I would use a 360 (There cheap in the J-yards) for the extra stroke in the crank is good for the street. More torque. If you run a big block, a 440 is a natural choice. A trick is a 400 with a stroker kit in it.

Take a peak at the racers forum and look up top for the sticky's. There are threads on what a few fella's have in there engine/car set up to run 12's, 11's, 10's, etc....

Not to be mean, but my observations and experience with each of the "Big Three" have led to my decision.

Here is my reason: it's hard to have any faith in a Chrysler when you have to work on it next to a '68 Chevelle that never had an easy day in its life since 1974 and the only reason its hood gets opened is to change oil and borrow the air cleaner off it for the Plymouth that has been owned for for the past 11 months and has had the hood open now for the past 10 months and 24 days. My daily driver to replace the Duster is a '72 F-100, I've never had half as much trouble out of it as I have had with the Duster.

The slant has had a complete rebuild top to bottom and even more experienced mechanics than myself can't figure out what is wrong with it.

I wanted a Mopar car that's why I bought it, loved the thought of it, wanted to complete the collection, but this thing has let me down more times than any other project car.

Find out what is wrong with it. Bad parts combo? Who built it? If still original, just maintainence, correctly.

Well if you have had that many problems with your slant you need to go back through it.
Those engines are about as simple as they come and bullet proof. I don't know who rebuilt your engine and your 904 but everything needs to be checked. No good reason your car is down only poor workmanship by somebody.

Cowboy.I hear ya. And for the exact very reasons you give, is the exact same reasons why I'm with MoPar vs Chevy. Nothing new here. All cars have problems. For you, the lemon is the MoPar. For me, it was the Chevy. (Or the heard of Chevy's I had.)

This discussion has been surprisingly civil. I am going to focus on the last line of your original post. You want something wild. And this is just my opinion but do something different. Take your slant apart and redo it. Go crazy and put three webber sidedrafts on it. Or turbo charge it. Pair it up with one of the new 5 speeds you can get. Be a little bit different if you are looking for a daily driver with some flair. Or maybe try and get a hold of one of the Australian lynx manifolds and put two or three SU constant depression carbs on it. Everybody has SBC setups. Your car set it up the way you want and drive it and enjoy it. I will not criticize your choice I am just offering an opinion.

As most guys have said if you rebuild the slant the right way it will never giver you a prob. If you want some more power and little problems put a 318 in it. I see those go for cheap and I also see 360's sell for cheap. There is full set ups on here all the time. Cheaper route would be the 318 since you have a 7 1/4 rear end.

I have a Granada 9 inch all ready laid out to try to shoe horn it under the Duster when I get the chance.

I found a '73 V8 car in the local junkyard for $300 but I'm still undecided, it's beyond rough. Plus I'd hate to get rid of the freshly rebuilt front end.

Among other things in the yard there was a nice 400 that caught my eye in an old NewPort or NewYorker or something like that.

I have a Granada 9 inch all ready laid out to try to shoe horn it under the Duster when I get the chance.

I found a '73 V8 car in the local junkyard for $300 but I'm still undecided, it's beyond rough. Plus I'd hate to get rid of the freshly rebuilt front end.

Among other things in the yard there was a nice 400 that caught my eye in an old NewPort or NewYorker or something like that.

now your talking mopar:cheers: I have had my boat of troubles to, but mopars are no more reliable or less reliable then the other brands, I just prefer mopar. speaking slant 6 have you done the fuel line mod yet? did you check the carb to ensure it was clean, as well as the fuel coming from the tank? alot of people on here have /6's making more power then a v8 which is pretty cool I think

To simplify things, mopar engines belong in mopars.
If you want a chev engine, get a G.M. vehicle to put it in.
It's not worth the hassle to convert.
Period.
Don't bastardize vehicles, you will regret it and everyone will hate you for it.
Now get yourself a Nova and build a screamin' sbc for it, you won't regret it.
I think that's what you want anyway.

This discussion has been surprisingly civil. I am going to focus on the last line of your original post. You want something wild. And this is just my opinion but do something different. Take your slant apart and redo it. Go crazy and put three webber sidedrafts on it. Or turbo charge it. Pair it up with one of the new 5 speeds you can get. Be a little bit different if you are looking for a daily driver with some flair. Or maybe try and get a hold of one of the Australian lynx manifolds and put two or three SU constant depression carbs on it. Everybody has SBC setups. Your car set it up the way you want and drive it and enjoy it. I will not criticize your choice I am just offering an opinion.

I completely agree, only if you want speed you really don't need all that. You can get speed with much less. This thread is proof:http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=128702&highlight=ss+slant+dart

Whatever you do, don't get rid of the slant. Everybody and there mother's sister's brother's aunt's uncle's pedophilic friend has a V8. Be unique for christ's sake, and not with a small block chevy.

most definitely, im suprised how civil this has been after the last guy was screaming ls3 in a dart. i commend you for braving the shark infested waters of contemplating a chevy powered mopar on an all mopar a body site, but to put it nicely, if you have the nuts to post a thread on this subject, then you should have the nuts to go out,find a 318/360/383/400/440/ or any other dodge/plymouth/chrysler magnum motor or the like and get busy making it work, 99% of us are brand loyal and that includes drivetrain. you wont get much support talking chebby powered mopars around here. i just yanked my six for a v8 power and i will never look back, not that there is any thing wrong with the six,it was just an easy fix for my drivability issues. if you look at the slant threads these guys are making insane horsepower with the slant six that will clean a good portion of any 350s clock. ... and yes i am anti chevy and extremely prejudice against any chebby powered mopar, whether i get my a$$ kicked by it at the track or i scream past it.. JMO

what about a small block ford in a 73 Duster? wiring is not an issue, maybe a ford 8.8 rear end as well.

welcome aboard Alan

its always fun to see new members get so exited they dig up some old threats

v3imagesbinc85292665515eebef922922aa4106e21-f88rvxjf9qscyl6cbt2_ct1880x930.jpg

Quick answer...sell your Duster to someone who'll love it as a Mopar...buy a Chevelle or a Nova....already has a Ch*v engine in it!

EDIT: Didn't see this thread is from 2011...hopefully he enjoying his GM product....

From 2011!!! OK so some of us are SLOW!!!
Like said, keep the GM power in GM cars, etc.
Any slant that ha been rebuilt and runs lke crap has a PROBLEM with its guy that did the work.

-
Back