Dutra Duals

-

SouthBay64

Reaction score
What’s up!

Getting ready to start giving my dart some love under the engine bay. I have a few questions and looking for all the help I can get. Money is always an issue and the last thing I want is to spend it buying stuff I don’t need just because they look nice.

The car is a 1964 Dodge Dart GT push button. Everything Under the hood is stock.

Question 1.
I purchased a used set of Dual Dutra Duals from a member. He mentioned they are the new aussiespeed castings.

What issues will I have or what parts will I need to swap out to make these fit?

Questions 2
I plan on upgrading the intake manifold to either offenhauser, Clifford or possibly aussiespeed shop. Would it make more sense to swap these out at the same time? Does one affect the other?

Any help would be appreciated it. If a link is out there of someone’s post then send it to me.

Thank you!

Not bein a smartass, but you're asking us about parts YOU have. Those things are fairly new. I don't know anybody who has them installed. The older ones that Doug cast himself, yes, but those required grinding or machining to finish, so they are not a good comparison to what you have. It's not difficult to figure out. You have the car, the engine and the parts. Look at it as a jigsaw puzzle and have at it.

Not bein a smartass, but you're asking us about parts YOU have. Those things are fairly new. I don't know anybody who has them installed. The older ones that Doug cast himself, yes, but those required grinding or machining to finish, so they are not a good comparison to what you have. It's not difficult to figure out. You have the car, the engine and the parts. Look at it as a jigsaw puzzle and have at it.
It’s my daily driver for now. So I can’t just jigsaw puzzle it and order the parts I may need on the fly. This is why I was asking if anyone has tackled this. Maybe I can do it on a weekend and be ready by Monday....but if no one has tackled this then maybe I’ll be the first.

What’s up!

Getting ready to start giving my dart some love under the engine bay. I have a few questions and looking for all the help I can get. Money is always an issue and the last thing I want is to spend it buying stuff I don’t need just because they look nice.

The car is a 1964 Dodge Dart GT push button. Everything Under the hood is stock.

Question 1.
I purchased a used set of Dual Dutra Duals from a member. He mentioned they are the new aussiespeed castings.

What issues will I have or what parts will I need to swap out to make these fit?

Questions 2
I plan on upgrading the intake manifold to either offenhauser, Clifford or possibly aussiespeed shop. Would it make more sense to swap these out at the same time? Does one affect the other?

Any help would be appreciated it. If a link is out there of someone’s post then send it to me.

Thank you!
The new Aussie Speed castings have revised the rear manifold to better clear the starter, I bet that you will still need a mini starter.
With the Aussie Speed exhaust manifolds you loose the exhaust heat hot spot below the carb. On my Dual Dutra install I modified the intake manifold egr cavity to be a hot water hot spot. AussieSpeed also sells a weld on hot spot chamber or one could be fabricated.
You also loose the stock choke pull off.
There are electric options available.
On the original Dutra’s there was interference with the block manufacturing lugs, they had to be ground down or sawed off, don’t know if the new ones fixed that.
Concerning intakes, the Offy has the hot spot pad that matches to the stock exhaust manifold, which you will no longer have.
Some Cliffords have a cast in hot water plenum, some don’t, so a Clifford with built in hot water heat capability would be good for you, if are running a carb.
As mentioned AussieSpeed has an optional weld on hot water box.
Since the intake and exhaust share the same gasket, makes sense to do them at the same time.

Last edited:
It’s my daily driver for now. So I can’t just jigsaw puzzle it and order the parts I may need on the fly. This is why I was asking if anyone has tackled this. Maybe I can do it on a weekend and be ready by Monday....but if no one has tackled this then maybe I’ll be the first.

I get it......but I haven't seen anyone do these yet. Plenty of talk. John up there ^^^^ gave you some good pointers, though. I agree that a hot water transfer would be easy to fabricate. You could probably even make a bolt on one, since there are three bolt holes in almost every type of slant six intakes there.

The new Aussie Speed castings have revised the rear manifold to better clear the starter, I bet that you will still need a mini starter.
With the Aussie Speed exhaust manifolds you loose the exhaust heat hot spot below the carb. On my Dual Dutra install I modified the intake manifold egr cavity to be a hot water hot spot. AussieSpeed also sells a weld on hot spot chamber or one could be fabricated.
You also loose the stock choke pull off.
There are electric options available.
On the original Dutra’s there was interference with the block manufacturing lugs, they had to be ground down or sawed off, don’t know if the new ones fixed that.
Concerning intakes, the Offy has the hot spot pad that matches to the stock exhaust manifold, which you will no longer have.
Some Cliffords have a cast in hot water plenum, some don’t, so a Clifford with built in hot water heat capability would be good for you, if are running a carb.
As mentioned AussieSpeed has an optional weld on hot water box.
Since the intake and exhaust share the same gasket, makes sense to do them at the same time.
I will be running a carb. I was thinking swapping to a stock 2 barrel but if electric choke is needed then I’ll look into a new edelbrock or Holley.

I will be running a carb. I was thinking swapping to a stock 2 barrel but if electric choke is needed then I’ll look into a new edelbrock or Holley.

You can find a BBD with electric choke. They came with them later on.

Thank you. Side note. You seem to know plenty about these dodger slants six (my first one) is a 4 barrel over kill?

Nope, not with the right one. An Edelbrock 500, for instance, would be good. With your upgraded exhaust, that would be a good match.

its gonna pull what it can. 1 2 or 4bbls. Stock cam with a 4bbl is probably not gonna be any better than a 2 bbl, and 2bbl intake set ups seem to be highly regarded these days....$$$. Weber 32/36 DGEV (electric choke) , or a Holley 350 2bbl or BBD would be plenty. My choice woukd be in that order. ^^ Edel 500 ^^ is a good option as it has a weighted air door for the secondaries so it wont 'overcarb' like a DP. Id be curious to see how much of the secondaries open on a edel 500 on a stock slant.

easy swap, the split manifolds are way easy to install than that huge factory log. i would suggest using the carter bbd or holley 2280 on the super six you can aways fab a manual choke to work.

Also you will need to use a early a body V8 or slant six cable throttle cable gas pedal its a direct bolt in. Then you would need to get a cable operate kickdown set up.

Then you would need to have your exhaust made.

So yes it can all be done in a day bolting on but you need to get and source all your parts,
then another day to have the muffler shop make the exhaust. As for the mini starter hit the pickapart pull it out of a durango or dakota less than 50.00 buck with a 30 day if you get a dud.

easy swap, the split manifolds are way easy to install than that huge factory log. i would suggest using the carter bbd or holley 2280 on the super six you can aways fab a manual choke to work.

Also you will need to use a early a body V8 or slant six cable throttle cable gas pedal its a direct bolt in. Then you would need to get a cable operate kickdown set up.

Then you would need to have your exhaust made.

So yes it can all be done in a day bolting on but you need to get and source all your parts,
then another day to have the muffler shop make the exhaust. As for the mini starter hit the pickapart pull it out of a durango or dakota less than 50.00 buck with a 30 day if you get a dud.
Thank you for the help! Can you give me more details on the starter? Durango Dakota Years?

its gonna pull what it can. 1 2 or 4bbls. Stock cam with a 4bbl is probably not gonna be any better than a 2 bbl, and 2bbl intake set ups seem to be highly regarded these days....$$$. Weber 32/36 DGEV (electric choke) , or a Holley 350 2bbl or BBD would be plenty. My choice woukd be in that order. ^^ Edel 500 ^^ is a good option as it has a weighted air door for the secondaries so it wont 'overcarb' like a DP. Id be curious to see how much of the secondaries open on a edel 500 on a stock slant.

the Holley 350 seems like it would be a logical choice, but for some reason folks have had issues getting that carb to run right on a slant, the two bbl Holley 500 is reported to a better choice.
info in the thread linked
Holley 350 CFM 07448 - Carburettor - WOT issue - Slant Six Forum

-
Back