E Body manual box in an A body?

-

BrianT

Here we go again...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought an E body manual steering box and the adapter for converting P/S to manual. It is a PST rebuild 24:1 From what I can tell it should be a bolt in for my 70 Duster. What do you guys think?

steeringbox1.jpg

yeah it'll bolt in. i don't know what the rest of your setup is, but you *might* have to change the pitman arm.

most manual boxes are small sector* and power steering pre 73 is small, so you should be good to goat if you're all stock and nothing's been changed

*c barges and vans got the big shaft

I was figuring on replacing the pitman even though nothing appears to be wrong with the one I have. It has 73+ brakes on the front. I want to add a front sway bar also.

I was figuring on replacing the pitman even though nothing appears to be wrong with the one I have. It has 73+ brakes on the front. I want to add a front sway bar also.
good call on throwing a fresh one at it.

a sway bar is always a great addition to any car.

keep in mind the location of the calipers and what you have for a k-member & lower arms when deciding on a sway bar. everybody down there has to play nice together and there can be some compatibility issues with mix-n-match parts

When you say it has '73+ brakes, does it also have '73+ lower control arms? If so, a '72 and down sway bar will not fit- the spacing of the tabs is too wide on the '73+ arms; likewise a '73+ sway bar will not fit on a '72 and down K frame...
Did you rear mount the calipers? Front mounted calipers generally do not clear the '72 and earlier sway bar.
JYH is absolutely correct, you have to be careful in your part selection to get it all to work correctly together.
If your steering box does turn out to be a large sector box, I believe you'll need to use a later pitman (and idler) arm, which would require use of a '73 and up center link. Otherwise it should be a bolt-in.

I didn't build the car so I'm not sure what I have. '73+ brakes are mounted forward and here's a couple pics of the lower control arm. Maybe someone can ID them as I don't know. I appreciate any help getting the right sway bar. Once I can ID what I have I will reach out to Hellwig and see what bar they recommend. Thanks!

1729240175176.jpeg

1729240292235.jpeg

-
Back