E body NP833

-

Don K

Reaction score
I know A and B body 833 are different, but I found one out of a 70 challenger and would like to put it in my 67 Barracuda. Can I do this with out much modification?

Just for fun, what is the partial VIN on it?

You ship me that one, and I'll ship you the proper A-body trans. It's out of a 72 Duster 340. Has the shifter mechanism and rods on it yet.

You ship me that one, and I'll ship you the proper A-body trans. It's out of a 72 Duster 340. Has the shifter mechanism and rods on it yet.
I should have been more specific I found one to buy I don't own it yet. Before I pull the trigger just wanted to know if it's an easy install.

E body & B body transmissions are different from A body transmissions.

B&E bodies are the interchangeable except the per 69 trans don't have a shifter mount casted on the tailshaft for an E body. A bodies have much shorter tallshafts so no it won't work on your Barracuda

Last edited:
Can I do this with out much modification?
I did it.
I order for the trans mount to line up, and, to not rattle on the T-bar crossmember, I had to grind off one mounting lug at the front shifter pad, and up the backside a bit; that was no big deal. Obviously the driveshaft will be too long. And you have to fabricate an adapter plate to move the shifter back to it's normal position. That's all.

But I took this opportunity to move the shifter about 7 inches back, to between the buckets. Then I raised it up high enough to install the top shifter mounting bolt from inside the cab. And then,I used an old Mr.Gasket Bang! shifter from the 70s, for it's short stick. Finally I fabbed up some new looooong shifter rods.
Then I fixed the floor.
Haven't missed a 2-3 shift since.

Having said all that, I think that has a close ratio gear set; 2.47-1.77-1.34-1.00.
Nothing wrong with that unless your engine has no bottom end, or this is gonna run hiway gears. Coupled with a 3.55 rear gear, the starter gear is just 8.77, and 65 is 2870 with 27" tall tires. That will require a lot of clutching in it's day to day use.
I like a starter gear of ~10/1, which would require 10/2.47=4.10 rear gears. With 4.10s. 65=3310
The earlier A-body boxs had ratios of 2.66-1.92-1.40-1.00; and the 10/1 starter comes to 3.73s, which makes 65=3030
But, the Early Barracudas had this; 3.09-1.92-1.40-1.00, and so the starter comes to 3.23s, and 65=2610

Can you employ less than a 10/1 starter gear? Well yes but it won't be nearly as much fun. I actually use 11/1 with a 430 hp 367. I have tried a lotta lotta other ratios, but 11/1 is a dump it and go deal, so my clutch lasts forever.

Alls I'm saying is, make sure you can use whatever ratio is in there, cuz you could be married to it for a long time.

Last edited:
"There used to be" a page somewhere (big block dart tech?) that showed how to build a shifter adapter mount to swap a long shaft B/E body into an A

-
Back